Of Charming Butlers and Old Friends

Vikram's Pov

Being restless was the only thing I got from my sleep. The memories of that fire haunted me for years. That accident created a hole in my heart which I thought would never go away.
Until I met her.

I glanced on my chest, she was sprawled on me.

Lila was a heavy sleeper and not even an really big trumpet could get her out of sleep. She was my own personal dreamcatcher, she kept my nightmares away.

Did I love her? Yes. I did love her. Maybe more than I ever loved Megan. Megan would always have a special place in my heart and so will Lila.

After two to three hours we got up and ready. Lila was in awe of simple things. She thought the scenes in front of us were beautiful but I disagreed. She was the most beautiful things.

"I want you to meet someone." I told her as we were walking on the beach.

"Who?" Always the curious thing.

"The owner of the hotel we are staying in and my really good friend"

"He owns it? Woww" She was surprised."He must be really rich"

"I am also rich. Not like him. But yeah" I admit I was jealous of her reaction. If I cracked the deal of our business in Pune it would really help Galaxy Group but it would take me at least a year before I tell Lila to sign over that business to me.

But why does she needs to sign it over to me? She is my wife. She is directly a part of Galaxy Group. We just have to include our business in it.

Eureka.

I held Lila close to me and kissed her head.

"What happened?"

"I had an idea"

"What?"

"Let me tell it to you later, first let's meet Markus"

*****************

Markus Alfero was my really good friend. We were together since college. Markus, me, Raj and Lucas best buddies. Markus and Lucas were brothers but Lucas was no longer with us. He died years back.

Yesterday I had called Markus up but he made an excuse about not being in Maldives but I called up his sister to confirm that he was definitely in here.

I knew where his apartment was. I have been there a dozen of times when we boys used to meet.

I knocked on his door with Lila on my side, his very old English butler whom Markus didn't travel without opened the door.

"Mr. Vikram what a surprise"

"Good morning Albert. Is Markus in"

"Yes. Master Markus is in his study"

"Okay. Albert meet my wife Lila" His eyes sparkled as he looked upon Lila with satisfaction. He took Lila's right hand and said,"It's lovely to meet you Mrs. Joshi"

Lila smiled to that. Albert may be old but he was always the charming bugger and mind you he had the best hangover remedy ever.

We went inside. I knew where Markus was. I knocked on his door.

"Come in"

"Lila will you please here for a second" She nodded.

"Well, weren't you supposed to be in London?" I said.

"Vikram" He looked surprised,"Who told you I was here?"

He came forward and hugged me. It felt good to be around your friend but a thought rang in my mind. Why did he lie to me about not being here?