Chapter 21--Michael Makes It Home

Michael looked down at Eleanor Rosenthal truly resenting having to leave her here like this. Her elfin face was as pale as the pillow she lay upon.  The dark mist of her hair surrounded her head like a tousled storm cloud that was appealingly attractive. Dr. Walenburger, who stood on the opposite side of the bed, closed his black bag with a snap.

Her gray eyes were slightly unfocused from the laudanum the doctor had given her to set her arm when she looked up at Michael. She tried to give him a small smile “Thank you,” she whispered drowsily. Before Michael could even think about responding, she closed her eyes. Dr. Walenburger stood up and glared at the array of soldiers surrounding the bed.

“If you will excuse Mrs. Rosenthal,” Dr. Walenburger harrumphed loudly in the quiet room. “She needs a little privacy, gentlemen,” he stated baldly, when none of the soldiers took his hint.

Michael blinked as if seeing the doctor for the first time. “Out. Everyone.” He ordered, backing away from the bed himself. He held out his hand towards the good doctor. “Thank you for coming to our aid at such an ungodly hour. I’m not sure she would have made it to the fort.”

“Thank nothing of it, Lieutenant,” Dr. Walenburger said formally. “She’ll sleep a while, once we’ve gotten her out of those wet things,” he pronounced, gripping the concerned officer’s hand. He walked beside Michael towards the door. “You might want to get out of those wet things yourself, before you catch the ague.”

The doctor glanced back towards the room. “Mrs. Bloomstead, if you would be so kind,” he said to the hotel owner’s wife standing quietly in the corner.

Mrs. Bloomstead had offered to help Eleanor out of her wet things. She clutched one of her own nightgowns, wrapped in a shawl for her to put on. “I’ll just be a moment, Dr. Walenburger,” she assured the doctor with a smile.

Michael was the last soldier to step out into the dim hallway. He came to an abrupt halt when he met the glacial blue gaze of Ike Jorgenson.

“Michael.” Ike Jorgenson stated/ “It’s been a long time.”

“Nine years, eleven months and four days, to be exact.” Michael told his uncle’s best friend stiffly.

Michael’s statement took Ike aback.  Damned if the boy hadn’t gotten to him that quick, Ike thought. Although, the word ‘boy’ hardly fit the man standing there facing him. What could have put the kind of shadows Ike could see in the depths of Michael’s green eyes? What the hell was the boy still doing in the army? Didn’t he get enough fighting during the war?

“What do you want us to do, Lieutenant?”

Michael shifted his gaze from Ike to Nate and Sergeant Cooper. “Go on back to the fort. Report to Major Chambers. I’ll stay here with Mrs. Rosenthal. Hopefully, she will be able to tell us what happened when she recovers somewhat.”

Sergeant Cooper saluted and spun on his heels. At his signal, the other soldiers followed him down the hall.

“Sarge,” Michael called.

Sergeant Cooper halted and turned to look at Michael.  “Sir?”

Michael tossed a coin to him. “You men have breakfast on me before you head back to the fort.”

“Yes Sir. We’ll do that.” Sarge saluted again before he turned back to his men.

Michael watched them disappear around the corner before he turned back to Ike. “How about some breakfast, Ike? It’s been a long night, and I’m hungry.”

“Make it lunch, and I’ll oblige you.”

“Sure thing,” Michael replied.  Together the two of them followed the rest of the soldiers down the stairs.