Chapter 5

"What about this one?" Valentina stepped out of her now perfectly organised closet, "and please don't just say it's nice like you have been for the last three outfits."

"It's pretty," she screwed her eyes closed and looked as if she wanted to scream, "you know I'm not good at deciding this stuff, Val. Just pick something you're comfortable in."

"I don't need to be comfortable if Finn is going to rip it off of me."

"Too much information," she laughed and retreated back, pulling out a red dress and changing into it. Despite my lack of knowledge in the latest trends and fashions, the dress looked better than the other ones she'd tried on.

The red dress was halter neck, showcasing her incredible figure, yet maintaining the modesty that her mother would allow when she leaves the house. "I think that's the one," I announced as she stood in front of her wall-length mirror, adjusting her hair and glancing over the outfit, "and I'm not just saying that to make you finish trying them on."

She seemed to favour the dress a little more once she'd added the necessary accessories to bring the outfit together. "Now it's your turn."

It barely took half the time for me to pull a few outfits from my bag and pick one out. "You sure you don't want to wear one?" She dangled a few dresses from her hand, ones she'd already tried on.

"I'm sure," I tugged the black jeans up my legs, jumping up and down to pull them over my hips to where I secured them with a plain black belt. I'd simply paired the jeans with a white, square neck singlet.

Despite the lack of colour to my clothing, I felt comfortable to walk into the party and I knew that wearing a dress would've just had me pulling it down every few minutes and worrying that I didn't look good enough, especially beside Valentina.

"You look beautiful, Savannah!" She gushed, handing me a red lipstick to apply before we left. "You'll definitely turn some heads tonight. And hopefully I'll turn Finn's"

With Valentina continuing telling me about Finn, I'd realised that I hadn't told her about my recent encounter with Tyler, although it wasn't exactly an event to broadcast. We'd barely shared a few sentences, more than Josh and I had, yet it wasn't as torturous as I'd assumed it would've been.

"Mom, we're ready!" Valentina called whilst we both descended the stairs. I couldn't imagine how much her feet would be hurting with the tall, black heels she was wearing, whereas I had opted for a pair of heeled boots, hardly reaching the same height.

"You both look beautiful."

"Thank you, Maria," Valentina's mom was one of the most laid-back and carefree mothers I had ever met. Her and my mom had struck a close friendship when Valentina and I had met, but they were both so different with my mother's relentless temperament and Maria's happy-go-lucky attitude.

She dropped us off in the next town over, oblivious to the wreck of the house we were about to enter. The door handle of Maria's car vibrated with the pulsing music whilst plastic cups and drunk teenagers littered the front yard, and it was barley nine o'clock.

"Be safe girls, and make sure you stay together," Valentina kissed her mother on the cheek before I thanked Maria and followed out of the car towards the house that had somehow surpassed my expectations for the size.

I didn't know a lot about this Finn, but it was now extremely evident that money most likely grew on trees for his family. The house was larger than most I'd seen in the centre of Beverley Hills, and it was difficult to measure up against those.

"Let's find Finn," I was escorted through the house by Valentina, obviously having been here and knowing where to go. The smell was caught in my nose as soon as I inhaled, grasping the sudden trace of cigarettes, alcohol, vomit and vape, all mixing to form a repugnant odour.