(Short Story -XXVIII.) *A Chorus of Cicadas*

Forgotten Dreams of Eternity: Lost Odyssey: Thousand Years of Dreams

Copyright © 2011 Sky_Knight

(Short Story -XXVIII.)

*A Chorus of Cicadas*

This forest is home to a priceless treasure.

A marvelous--and exceedingly rare--creature lives here.

You could search the entire continent and never find another such habitat.

\"Of course, the value of our \'treasure\' is not apparent at first glance.\"

The village elder holds a cup of liquor made from fermented berries as he speaks. His ancestors have kept watch over this tiny village for generations.

It is summer, and the massed cries of a million cicadas pour down upon the small fort that guards the entrance to the village. The chorus of insects sounds like a steady rain.

\"I wonder if you gentlemen understand what I mean?\"

The elder scans the dozen or so powerfully-built men gathered at the fort.

All of them wear a look of puzzlement. All but one, that is.

\"You said your name is Kaim?\" asks one of the villagers. \"You seem to know what he\'s talking about.\"

Kaim nods and points upward.

\"It\'s the cicadas,\" he says.

A stir goes through the villagers. With a delighted smile, the elder says, \"So you know, do you?\"

Far from delighted, the men in armor share suspicious glances.

All are mercenaries.

They have been hired by the villagers to protect the forest\'s \"treasure.\"

\"Hey, hey, wait just a second there.\" rumbles the voice of one soldier, perhaps emboldened by the liquor.

\"Are you telling me this \'treasure\' we\'re supposed to protect is just cicadas? What\'s so special about them? They\'re everywhere.\"

\"That is true.\" says the elder. \"Which is why I said the value of our \'treasure\' is not obvious at virst glance.\"

\"They sound just like any cicadas I\'ve ever heard.\"

Another of the mercenaries says, with a look of amazements.\" Yeah, how is this \'chorus of cicadas\' different from any other? They sound just like the ones in my hometown.\"

The other soldiers laugh in agreement.

\"Absolutely,\" says one.

\"No difference,\" says another.

The elder and the villagers, however, are not amused.

They turn to Kaim as the elder asks him, \"Will you help us protect our \'treasure\'?\"

\"That is what I\'m here to do,\" he replies. \"Tell me again, Kiam. Do you really know the meaning of the \'treasure\' of this forest?\"

\"I do . . .\"

\"Then let me ask you this. Do you know when this summer\'s battle will bear fruit?\"

Kaim takes a sip of his liquor, releases a long, slow breath, and says,

\"In 75 years. We\'re fighting for the summer 75 years from now. Is that what you mean?\"

Another stir goes through the group of villagers.