Beasts on the Beach

On the island of Guam, superstition abounds. A common belief of the Chamorro people is in taotaomonas, the first people, our ancestors and demons.

One common superstition involves the protection of infants.

I was a girl of ten, spending some family time with my parents, brothers, godparents, and cousins. Camping overnight at one of Guam's many beautiful beaches is a much enjoyed past time on the island. Late into the night, the adults played poker and joked around while I, being all of ten, had to watch the little ones.

This particular beach, Ypao beach, is now a tourist attraction with pavilions to have barbecues and parties in. But this was back in the 70s. No pavilions; just an open grassy area surrounded by oil drum trash cans on three sides and the peaceful surf of the Philippine Sea to the west. Mats were laid out and the sleeping babies put to rest, surrounded by a ring of adults.

It was around midnight when the serenity of the beach was broken by sudden howls. We all looked around us as huge, black dogs, with red glowing eyes came from around each oil drum trash receptacle. They were snarling. They were slobbering. They were not of this earth. They were numbered twenty. And they were closing in on us.

The younger ones were asleep. The youngest was my little brother, only fifteen months old. I sat near him in silent horror, so frightened I almost didn't hear my mother yell.

"Cover the baby."

"Girl, cover your brother now!"

"Can you hear me? Not like that! Cover everything. Cover his face!"

I moved like in a dream. Surely the ga'ga' was here to get me for all the bad things I may have done in the past. But somehow I got my brother covered. Then things got even scarier.

                     *   *   *                          The superstitions involving children on Guam come in varied versions and from varied periods in Guam's history. In ancient times it was strongly advised to keep small children close to their mothers when the sun set. During the time of Spanish colonization (15th - 19th centuries), imposed Catholicism brought about the belief that children should not be outside unless baptized. More modern views, with American custom being the man is head of the house instead of the woman, had parents thinking that a baby taken outside had to be covered by the father's shirt. Even better if it had Dad's cologne on it. 

Common sense dictates that the core of these beliefs is simple. Young children can easily catch diseases like pneumonia in Guam's cold, humid, night air. But that night, repercussions were more severe. That night, the spirits wanted the children...

That night...

Twenty demon dogs surrounded us. Twenty demon dogs wanted us. The adults in our group weren't having it.

                   *   *   *         

                 As I held my little brother, all covered up with his baby blanket, squirming to break free, whimpering pitifully, I watched my parents and godparents try to fight off those dogs. Those black, lean, vile, red-eyed dogs.

Vicious dogs, biting at the adults' ankles, trying to get around them to get to us. Afraid of the fire brands the adults were swinging, but intent on us children, even our strong parents were having a hard time of it.

I look over at my godmother. Her five year old son was holding onto her back. Nina, as I called her, held his hands in hers at her waist, while her other held a burning log.

Dad was punching at dogs left and right, but they kept trying to get around him.

To get to me.

Biting at Nino and Nina's legs, trying to get past them.

To get at Joey.

To get at Kevin.

To get at Peter.

Suddenly I understood. I had to tell Mom. But I couldn't tell Mom.

                    *   *   *

In those days, parents were strict. The rule of the day was children should be seen and not heard. To interrupt our parents when they were doing something could bring a twist of the ears, a slap, or a punch.

As I watched the angry adults, the crying children, the kids who, unbelievably, could sleep through all this, I knew. If it meant getting punched, I had to tell Mom what I knew.

"Mama!"

"Watch your brother."

"MAMA!!!"

"WHAT?!!"

"it's not the baby, Mama. It's all of us. They want ALL OF US!!!"

A demon dog had charged the back of Mom's legs when she turned to look at me. I thought she wasn't going to listen. She wasn't going to listen when she had to deal with those damn dogs.

But as she looked at me, looked at my godmother, looked at my dad, looked all around, she got the message.

"Mali', get all the children in the middle under the mats! Girl, get your brothers. Huddle together and cover yourselves with the mats! Stay under there NOW!!!"