Chapter 4: Abuela

"Good morning, abuelita!"

It took some effort for Alexa to let herself in her apartment, as she was carrying three large brown paper bags. After shutting the door, she looked around cautiously. Was her grandmother still asleep? It was unlikely, but if she were ...

"Good morning, Alejandra," said a cheerful voice from the kitchen. "Are you hungry? I'm making breakfast."

She sighed. Her grandmother was awake. There was no way she was getting out of this now.

"No." She lugged her bags into the kitchen. "I brought the groceries I picked up before my shift last night. And I dropped by the pharmacy on my way here. I got enough of your meds for a couple of weeks."

"Thank you. Oh my, did that not cost too much, mi niña?" Constancia Diaz said. She was standing over the stove, frying something. "We need to pay rent next week."

"I have enough for rent, don't worry about it." Alexa set the bags on the table. "Mmmm, is that mallorca?"

"Fried in butter, just the way you like it," Constancia said. She slid two buns onto a plate. "You can unpack the groceries later. Let's have breakfast while the buns are still hot." She set the plate on the table.

"Yes, 'wela." Alexa set the grocery bags aside, and washed her hands. Her grandmother hasn't said a word about her being out all night. Was it possible she didn't notice? Maybe abuela assumed she had just left early to get groceries.

She ate the soft buttery pastry with her fingers, moaning softly as she chewed her first bite. First she gets an extra thousand dollars in cash, and now she was having her favorite pastry for breakfast. This was turning out to be a great weekend.

Her grandmother poured coffee into two mugs. "So," she said, setting one mug in front of Alexa. "You did not mention you had a date last night."

Alexa froze, her mouth full of pastry.

The elderly woman leaned over, her arms on the table, and smiled. "How was it?" she whispered.

Alexa swallowed, shaking her head. "It wasn't a date. I had to do overtime last night."

"Really?" Constancia's lightly greying eyebrows furrowed. "Why do you have that look about you then?"

"What look? I don't have a look." Alexa took a sip of the hot coffee, trying to avoid her grandmother's eyes.

"Yes, you do." Constancia shook her head. "You have a look that says you have been with a man all night."

It was at that moment that Alexa found out that when you choke on hot liquid, the spasm of coughing that follows is not very pleasant.

"Ay Dios mio, are you all right, Alejandra?" Alarmed, Constancia stood up and went around the table to rub her granddaughter's back.

"I'm okay," Alexa said, covering her mouth with a paper napkin. "I just ..." She cleared her throat, trying to dislodge the last of the coffee stuck in her windpipe. "I just swallowed too quickly, that's all." She turned and pulled her grandmother's hands from her shoulders. "Please stop asking about my—" She paused. "Abuela, your hands are hot. Do you have a fever?"

Constancia pulled her hands from Alexa's. "No, I'm okay. I took an aspirin earlier. I'm fine now."

"No, we need to check your temperature." Alexa stood up. "Don't be stubborn. You know we have to call the doctor if there are any unusual changes in your temperature."

"Who's stubborn? You are just trying to change the subject."

Alexa shook her head. If only it were just that. "Sit down and wait here. I'll get the thermometer."