Dorm Room 210: September 26th

Author note: This chapter has been updated on 21st October 2019

As a #RR you will know that I removed a certain pool scene from the original version that I'm aware everyone loved. So, please enjoy this chapter that's supposed to be split in 2 that includes a re-written version of the pool scene.

(also if I EVER in my life do a 3.0 version this chapter would be 26 and it would've matched the title ahhh)

Chapter 27:

September 26th

The end of the year approaches fast, and Noah and I work hard on our project for the next few days, mastering the loose ends on the pieces that require it and finishing off accessorizing the ones that need it. Most of our time is spent in the workshop with the other students, including Vanessa.

I seem to always force a smile around her now; whenever she comes to our table, looks in the direction of our way, makes conversation about the littlest things, and I don't know why. I don't know her at all, but whenever she nears Noah I tense up. It's all in my head, this I'm fully aware of. Maybe Nicole is onto something about the jealousy feeling.

Then again, she should know considering the amount of times she comes around to get us for the usual lunch catch-up. We don't leave straight away and Vanessa would be close enough to hear our conversation.

It only clicks for me yesterday to understand why Nicole insists on getting us on those days. The sparkling glint in her eyes when she walks in the room to find us isn't for us at all; it's for Vanessa.

Thursday arrives. I rub my eyes from sleep before gaining my bearings. The sunlight peaks through the red curtains, giving off a warm colour that makes me want to go walk down a park, admiring spring's beautiful creations. Instead I'm pulled in by the waist as Noah's head nestles in my back, signalling off a rush of love.

I run my nails against his fingers until he gestures me to roll over. I'm met with a sleep grin and brown eyes underneath soft curls of hair. When was the last time he cut it?

"Good morning," he mumbles, moving pieces of my own hair out of the way. "So beautiful."

"You're one to talk," I say. "Happy birthday."

A grin spreads across my face as he laughs, warming up my insides even more. I'm in awe of him, all of him; his naked torso and pieces of hair on his chest, the strong jawline that carves out his face, the smell of him like fresh cinnamon.

"Thank you," he eventually says. "I love it that it's coming from you first."

How have I not notice the huskiness projecting every time the sun rises? Has he always sounded like he knew my secrets? All I want to do is jump at him and let the vibration of his voice shake my skin alive.

His sleepy eyes suddenly wake with alertness. Shifting his legs until they cross with my bare ones, he whispers, "So what'd you get me?"

"It's a surprise," I tell him, knotting my fingers in his hair as he runs his hand up and down the arch of my back. "I can give it to you now, but it won't have that same affect as it will Friday."

Rachel and I went shopping on the Tuesday when Noah went to his parents to help put together everything for his party on Saturday. I picture the square, solid black box with a green bow tie sitting underneath my pile of clothes and let myself smile over the product inside.

Noah's eyes widen like a kid on Christmas. "That good?"

"It's a small thing but it has a lot of impact with your birthday suit you're wearing that night."