9

"You ready for this?" Katherine asked.

Elena nodded glumly getting Amara out of her car seat. Ever since Elena told her friends about Amara she's had this sudden boost of confidence. Maybe Ric and her aunt wouldn't mind that she had a kid at the age of eighteen. Maybe they would praise her for her wonderful job she did on Amara. Knowing her guardians that would happen if everyone on Earth were billionaires.

At the front door they knocked and waited for it to open. When it did it showed Jenna. Elena's aunt's faced changed into a happy face when she saw Katherine. "Katherine! And...Elena." Her aunt's happy face dropped and the expression did a three-sixty twist as soon as she saw Elena with a little girl on her hip.

"Hi Aunt Jenna." Elena lifted Amara a little to make her daughter more comfortable on her hip. Amara's face was back in the crook of her mommy's neck because of the new face staring down at her. Jenna opened the door a little wider letting Elena, Amara, and Katherine in. The adults sat at the kitchen's island while Amara played with the toys that Jenna had here. Elena's aunt offered them all coffee.

"Is...is she yours?" Mrs. Saltzman nodded towards Amara who was moving the doll like she was supposed to be walking.

Elena nodded her head yes. "Yes, Amara is my daughter," her voice was soft, but still radiating with confidence.

Jenna's eyes still had worry in them. "The father?"

A glance was shared by Elena and Katherine. Katherine's eyes gave Elena encouragement. So, Elena explained the same lie she told Stefan to her aunt. Jenna's face looked like it had relief in the expression, but she shook her head in shame. "I'm sorry this child has no father, but the child with have an aunt and uncle."

A shocked look appeared on Elena's face. This was something she had not calculated. There was only the slimmest chance that Jenna and Alaric would accept Amara in the family that Elena calculated out. The day had just gotten a hundred percent better.

"Really?"

"Yes." Elena's aunt smiled lightly. "We've been very controlling about your future, Elena. It's the future or career choice that we had in mind for you, but if you like it we're okay with it. You were faced with a challenge-a very hard, annoying challenge-that most cannot bear. I'm proud of you and Amara. She is a bright girl and very beautiful."

The words Elena never expected never to come out of her aunt's mouth towards her just did. Never had Elena gotten those words before. Now Elena made a terrible mistake and they're proud of her. But, Elena took it and stopped questioning her.

Elena smiled at her daughter. At least Amara would have more family now. Two uncles, two aunts, and two aunties that were Elena's friends. That was enough family for Elena right now.

Mrs. Saltzman finished her coffee and got up. "Now, let me meet this wonderful daughter of yours."

"Awuntie Jenna is awesome!" Amara exclaimed getting too overexcited for Elena to buckle up her car seat.

Dropping Katherine off, Elena and Amara headed back home to Mystic Falls. Amara fell asleep during the short car ride home. Time for her nap, Elena thought. Too bad I'm the one who has to carry her in.

When they reached home Elena carried Amara inside. Kissing Amara's forehead she left Amara's room. Elena went down to her office on the first floor, and Elena's phone rang. Not looking at the Caller ID Lena said, "Hello?"

"Hey Elena." Caroline's cheerful voice bubbled in Elena's ear.

Elena scowled at herself for not looking at Caller ID. "Oh, hello Caroline. Anything I can do for you?"

Caroline answered, "Yeah, I'm making sure of the time I'm picking the little squirt up tomorrow. Eleven right?"

"Yes, I need her home by eight though."

"Eight? Why?" Caroline was confused. Did Elena really put her kid to bed that early even though it was summer break for her?"

Might as well tell her, Elena thought. "I told my aunt about Amara, and now she wants to spend some Auntie Time with her niece."

"No way! You told Jenna and Ric?" Caroline's loud voice rang in Elena's ears.

Elena poked in her ear to make sure it still worked due to Caroline's loud voice. "Oh, Caroline. I got to go; Amara is going to be waking up from her nap soon. Dinner won't make itself."

"Kk, chicka. See yah tomorrow." Caroline hung up the phone.

Elena groaned as she got up from her desk. Dinner certainly will not make itself, but it would be nice if it did.