Granny's Tea

Year 2011  

Place: Thane, Mumbai 

Varun, a smart young Engineer in his mid twenties celebrated his last day at work as he had landed a better job opportunity elsewhere. "Too bad you're leaving us, we we'll miss your energy and team spirit," his boss expressed his feelings as the party came to an end. "If you ever change your mind, remember these doors are always open for you," he stated and wished Varun the best of luck for his further endeavors.

After a long night, Varun woke up to embrace the new day with butterflies in his stomach. Today was going to be his first day at NCL corp. Looking dapper as always, he skipped the breakfast his mother had prepared and zipped away in his car.

A train of thoughts ran through his mind as he pondered on the probability of how his new colleagues would receive him and the work challenges that awaited him. All his queries were answered when he stepped into what appeared as a government office. The enthusiasm level of every employee was to the proportion of zero. The ambiance was monochrome, nobody seemed interested in knowing the new senior manager. And the ones who did, merely snubbed him when he attempted to strike a conversation.

Disappointed, he found his way to his cubicle and settled, his new boss dropped by to see if he was comfortable. "You may find a stark difference in our working style, but you will get adjusted to it," He smiled and handed over a list of task that were to be streamlined before the annual board meeting. "You were bursting with energy in that interview, I want to see you channel all that in your work," he exclaimed and narrowed his eyes.

"Sure thing, you won't be disappointed sir!" Varun assured him with a broad smile and sighed after he left.

"Okay Varun I know this place is unfriendly, but you will start liking it...I hope so...," he comforted himself and began working like the rest. It wasn't until they broke for lunch when he set eyes on a beautiful young girl seated across her desk facing him. Her fair and frail frame was draped in a sky blue sari. It appeared she had no friends when she pulled out her lunchbox and ate on her desk in silence instead of heading to the cafeteria.

Varun stole glances at her and headed to the cafeteria where the rest were eating and chattering. It was a good opportunity to introduce himself and make some new friends, but Varun's mind was occupied with her thoughts. Rushing back to his desk post lunch break, he kept watching her from where he sat and didn't realize when the hours passed until a colleague in the cubicle beside him inquired if he had plans of going home.

"Oh, it's seven already! Time sure passes fast here," he snapped out of his daze and realized it was time to leave. As he prepared to make a move he noticed the lady neatly gathering her belongings and stepping out elegantly until he lost sight of her. There was something majestic about her.

The whole night Varun could think about nothing but her. Her pink lips, her manicured fingers and the occasions she would tie her hair in to a loose bun made his heart race faster. Her beauty had captivated him, he couldn't wait to head back to work to catch a glimpse of her again.

The following days went in admiring her from a distance. There were times he mustered courage to go talk to her, but when her eyes met his, he would go weak on his knees and chicken out. She caught him staring at her on several occasions, but strangely never encouraged or acknowledge him. She was quiet in nature and kept aloof from the rest of the staff around her. Everyday was like a routine for her. She would come draped in different colour saris , work on her computer, eat lunch alone and leave exactly at seven in the evening. She was like a pretty flower blooming midst a barren land.

By now Varun had memorised her movements and couldn't wait to befriend her. Hence one fine day he decided to give it a try and talk to her after office hours. That evening when the clock struck seven he watched as she prepared to leave. Rushing out before her, he sat in his car and waited patiently outside the gates.