Chapter One

*WARNING: may be gore in some part*

Chapter One

I hate dinner parties Calleigh thought wryly while sipping her second glass of chardonnay, her date just left her in the corner to mingle with other party guests

I can’t really blame him for not bearing with me, I’m a boring date who doesn’t know how to socialize. Ironic, when I’m a fashion stylist. She grew more anxious at every passing minute; I just agreed to come here because my friend Nora asked me to, by the way, I still haven’t seen her around or maybe she’s ditching this party, she always do that.

I opened my purse and fished for my cell phone. I quickly dialed Nora’s number and after a few rings it went straight to voice mail. I was confused, Nora always picks her phone up, but then, maybe she’s busy preparing her grand entrance. A few hours has passed and still, no Nora in sight, questions started piling up in my mind 

“Where the hell is she?” If you know Nora she doesn’t miss a big event like this on, even if she’s sick she would go through hell just to attend it, she don’t want to miss a chance for showing off.

“This is really odd” I thought.” I scanned the sea of people and spotted my date. Lawrence Hays, a gorgeous, young business mogul. I’ve known him through Nora; I made my way to him and smiled at the group of people who has been impressed by this man’s stories.

“Uhm, can I have a word with you?” I whispered to him through my gritted teeth, fake smile still plastered on my face while Lawrence escorted me through the balcony.

“What’s the problem?” He asked

 Well, a lot of things, you jerk! First, you didn’t even stick with me through the whole evening even just for a whole minute, leaving me sulking in my own misery at the corner, not even introducing me to the people you are with, but that’s not really an issue. Second, I wish I had the courage to say all those thing to his face but I’d better not, I’ve only met him for a short while now so I really think that I don’t have the right to say that to him, taking me as his date for this party was not really his idea, it was Nora’s, because he has no date she blackmailed him into taking me tonight and now the person responsible for this stupid set-up is MIA.

“Well?” Lawrence asked. His expression showing a hint of annoyance because I interrupted a conversation, that I’m guessing is all about how big his achievements are and how conceited he is. His stare became more intense for every passing second that I was being hypnotized by his hazel eyes, the moment I stared at that pair of hazel orbs on his face every complain and train of thoughts was thrown out of my mind. 

“Calleigh?” he asked again

“Ah, have you seen Nora?” I finally managed to answer

“Uh, No, did you try contacting her?” he said with an I-am-not-her-keeper tone, clearly showing that he is unconcerned by the situation.

“Well, yes, but-“

Lawrence interrupted “Okay, well then, I have to get back to those people. I’ll see you around” after saying those words he turned and walked away from me as quickly as possible like I have some contagious disease that he didn’t want to catch. I just sighed in frustration and anger, if I knew that this night would be like a disaster then I would have faked sickness.

I decided to go home and to not let my date know that I’m going, not that he cared.

I hurriedly walked to the door and bumped on a guy, my purse fell and I bent down to pick it up.

“I’m sorry” the man said, I stood up to look at the guy, I was so annoyed that I am ready to bolt out of this place but the man caught my elbow.