CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

Since the Peacocks' equipage consisted of one horse and an open trap, Mr Martindale insisted that the party should make use of his carriage and four to take them and their baggage on the long journey to the railway station at Oakhampton where they could board the train from Plymouth to London.

It was to be an early start so that they could be sure of making the connection. The Martindale carriage arrived at the Peacock residence promptly at eight o'clock that morning.

Out of courtesy Esther had chosen to sit with her back to the horses, so that Mrs Peacock, Phoebe and Archie would be more comfortable.

Biddy, who had eagerly accepted the position of lady's maid, sat beside her in the furthest corner.

'I don't know what the missus will say,' Biddy murmured apprehensively as the carriage drew up at the Peacocks' front door. 'She don't like me, not a bit.'

'Biddy, you are my personal maid,' Esther said firmly. 'What Mrs Peacock likes or dislikes is neither here nor there.'

Esther had been thinking of Mrs Peacock's probable reaction on seeing Biddy, and she decided to be polite but firm. Who she hired as maid was none of Mrs Peacock's concern.

The two Martindale footmen, who had been riding on top of the carriage, got down and proceeded to load the baggage that had been put outside the Peacocks' open front door in readiness.

That done, one of the footmen opened the carriage door and set down a wooden step outside, for the ladies' convenience in boarding.

Mrs Peacock came out first with many sharp utterances and orders to a whey-faced maid, who stood outside the door, constantly dipping her knee in response to the tirade.

Finally, Mrs Peacock stepped up and entered the carriage, sitting down immediately opposite Esther.

'Good morning, Esther,' she began. 'Phoebe will not be long. She has lost a glove, and the new maid is an imbecile; no help at all.'

At that moment Mrs Peacock noticed Biddy sitting in the corner, as close as she could get to the window.

'Biddy!' she shrieked.

She stared first at the frightened girl and then at Esther. 'What is the meaning of this? What is she doing here? I demand an explanation.'

'I have taken Biddy on as my lady's maid,' Esther said calmly. 'While I am away from home I'd much rather have a maid I know and trust then some strange London girl, who would undoubtedly consider herself superior to a country miss and would sneer at my simple wardrobe behind my back.'

'Preposterous!'

At that moment Phoebe entered the carriage.

'I am so excited, Esther,' she exclaimed, obviously unaware of the tension in her mother's demeanour. 'London! I can hardly believe it.'

'This is an outrageous position you have put me in, Esther,' Mrs Peacock exploded.

'Mama!' Phoebe said, sitting down next to her mother. 'Whatever has upset you so early in the morning?'

Then she noticed Biddy.

'Why, it's Biddy! Well, well. Are you to accompany us, Biddy?'

'I don't know why there is such a commotion because I have engaged Biddy as my maid,' Esther said evenly.

'I sacked her!' Mrs Peacock said vehemently. 'She is unfit. Am I now to suffer her presence for the whole of the journey?'

'It would seem so,' Esther said calmly.