Chapter Fifteen

Cade had little time to think let alone confront his cousin over the next few days. With Lady Isabel gone, he was left alone to manage the household and failing where she had succeeded. Between housing and feeding the MacDonald clan, training with the few warriors they possessed and tending to duties around the keep, he had not stopped to sleep except when too exhausted to move.

He had hoped the activity would keep his thoughts from Isabel, from the guilt in his gullet, and the growing sense he had wronged her and her brother's memory by letting her go.

Exhausted, he rubbed the beard he had not had a chance to shave.

He leaned away from his bed, where the elderly MacDonald lay listlessly, and glanced at Niall. His cousins were present, as was Father Adam. The three made up his advisors, the only men he truly trusted to guide him as the leader of their people.

It was quiet and tense, with both his cousins fidgeting and Father Adam wide awake for once. The priest clutched two missives.

"Read it t'me again," he said to Father Adam.

"Laird Duncan of clan MacGomery orders ye t'turn out the MacDonald's, the enemy to his kin and clan," Father Adam said.

Cade dwelt on the command given to him by the laird whose generosity had given his clan a home, even if temporarily. He was disappointed in the man who had taken mercy on his people only to turn out his own neighbors. This was the fourth messenger to be sent, and this one was much less patient than the others. He could not afford to thrall this messenger and recognized he had to make a choice this day.

"Can we no offer t'pay him more to let the MacDonald's stay?" Niall asked, pacing nearby.

"Yea, if we had coin of any kind. We gave him every last copper just to house our kin for the year," Cade said with sarcasm. "We canna turn out women and children and," he waved to Laird MacDonald, "the near-dead to be kilt by their enemies, but I doona ken what else to do."

Niall was rubbing the back of his head, staring hard at the wall. Cade sensed what was going through his cousin's head.

"We turn them out, and we have a home for several more fortnights," Brian mused. "But that'd mean yer wedding is off."

Thank Isabel's god for that, Cade answered silently.

"I doona wanna say it, but it's our clan or theirs," Brian said.

"Ye canna be serious!" Niall objected. "D'we not have some honor?"

"I'd rather we had a home."

"We must leave before winter! We doona have a real home now!"

"Cease arguing," Cade growled at them.

They obeyed, glaring at one another.

"Or, ye marry her and claim her land. Then we go to war with Laird Duncan," said Niall.

Cade alone heard his reluctance to utter such words. If Niall was willing to give up his lover, he was as worried as Cade.

At least he's thinking of his clan not himself.

"Yea, except we have no warriors!" Brian retorted.

"This is a laird's decision," Cade said firmly. "I willna make it without great thought."

"He requires yer answer tonight," Father Adam added.

"Then I will think quickly."

"Niall is wise for once," Brian said. "None of us can e'er forget war or what it does to those who doona deserve it."