Chapter Eight

• Evan •

An annoying beeping sound wakes me up. I sit up and look around confused and it takes me a moment to figure out where I am.

Ah right, I spent the night at Mackenzie's. With the permission of her parents and mine, of course.

I get off of her couch and pick up my phone to turn the alarm off. It's only 5 o'clock in the morning. Mackenzie made me set it that early because I have to go home and shower, but I honestly think I could have done everything and not be late for school if I woke up at six. Too late now. Or... I could just reset my alarm and go back to sleep for an hour.

No, no I won't do that. Mackenzie would probably be annoyed and thump my nose. Honestly, that girl has problems.

"Wake up sleeping beauty." I hear said girl call as she walks down the stairs of her basement.

"I'm awake." I say, watching her walk. She's got a bright smile on her face and looks dressed and ready for school in a pair of blue jean shorts and a Scooby-Doo t-shirt with a pair of low top white converse.

"Good! Now c'mon. You gotta go home and get ready." She grabs me by the arm and starts pulling me up the stairs but I stop her.

"Let me get my keys and stuff first." I say. She lets go of me and I walk back down and grab my stuff before going up with her.

When I enter her kitchen the smell of bacon hits me full force. Mackenzie's mom is bouncing around the kitchen, cooking a full breakfast. There's pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, and bacon. Well, I know where Mackenzie gets her energy from.

"Good morning, Mrs. Hunt." I greet. Her mom looks up at me with a smile.

"Morning, Evan. Would you like breakfast?" She asks politely and I nod my head eagerly.

"No,no, no." Mackenzie gets on to me, "you need to go home and get ready. Then when you come to pick me up you can have breakfast."

I roll my eyes, but nod my head and start to leave the house. I get home as quick as I can and get ready. When I get back to her house I can tell Mackenzie is surprised at how fast I got ready.

"Wow, this is a new record." She comments and I can't help but to smile around the food I've stuffed my mouth with.

    Mackenzie and I finish up our breakfast and start leaving for school. We're kind of early, so we go sit in our homeroom class for a little bit until the bell rang.

    I sit down in a seat next to Mackenzie and waited for class to start. When Christian walks in I take one glance at him and then look away. I'm going to ignore him. It shouldn't be very hard since it seems like he's ignoring my existence as well.

    He may or may not be trying to lull me into a false sense of security, but I'm not going to think of that. I'm going to do as I said I would and ignore him unless he does something. Which, I'm sure he will eventually.

    Mrs. Carter starts talking about the history of the Motown record company and I pay attention as best as I can. If I don't try my best to pay attention I'll probably find myself looking Christian's way. And I don't need to be doing that.

    When class is over I make my way to my locker and put away my music book. Then I walk to second period. Mackenzie has already put her book away and walked to class, so I'm all by myself.

    I walk into the class and make my way to the seat next to Mackenzie that she's saved for me. Our English teacher, Ms. Peters is already standing at the front of the room, waiting for everyone to get here.

Once the bell rings and the last of the students come in the classroom, the teacher claps her hands together. She's a young women and this is her first year of teaching.

    "Okay, guys," she starts, "we're going to start off the year by doing something pretty simple. I'm going to assign everyone a partner and you're going to write a biography about each other."

    That really isn't a hard thing to do and it might be fun if we could pick our own partners. Like someone we actually care about. I would obviously pick Mackenzie, but with my luck I'm probably going to be assigned Christian.

    "It has to be at least three pages long and include everything about your partners. Their family, their achievements, and so on." She continues.

    No offense, but I'm not sure if these high school students have enough information about them to fill up three pages. A girl raises her hand and Ms. Peters calls on her.

    "Three pages front and back or are we suppose to be typing this?" The girl asks and it seems like she might've had the same thoughts as me.

    "Good question. You all will be typing it, so not front and back. I want you to use size twelve times new roman font and double line spacing." Ms. Peter says and then starts reading off the pairings.

    Of course I would get paired with Hannah. I'm not quiet sure if that's a good idea, but maybe I can talk to get and we can be friends again.

    Or maybe not, I think as I watch Hannah whisper something to Ms. Peters. When Hannah is done talking Ms.Peters looks at me so I know Hannah was telling her she didn't want to be my partner.

    "Okay, I'm making a change. Christian, you'll be with Evan instead of Julia, and Julia will be with Hannah."

    Are you fucking kidding me?

    I look over at Christian and catch the smirk on his face. This is great, just great. I look at Hannah and she's looking down at her desk. I hope she's happy. Would being my partner really be that bad?

"Okay, we don't have all that much time left so you guys can just do whatever. The paper is due next Friday, so you might want to start on an outline on notebook paper. I'm sure you guys can find time either at home or in school to get it typed."

Sigh. Movement next to me catches my eye and I look over to see Mackenzie standing from her seat. She gives me an apologetic look and walks to her partner.

Isn't this cliche or something? Being paired with the person who I hate most in the world? If this was a story, we would probably be expected to make amends and become best friends or whatever.

While I am severely lacking male friends, I would never stoop so low as to find one in Christian. He's an arrogant jerk. He's The Jerk. We will never get along, let alone be best friends.

Speaking of The Jerk, I look over to the seat Mackenzie used to be sitting in. That flipping asshole has made himself comfortable in it. Leaning back against the seat, legs stretched out and feet propped on the tray of the seat in front of him.

"So," he says, "are we starting this thing now?" He says it so calmly, like we don't hate each other. It irritates me.