CHAPTER 30 | Epilogue

📎A/N. Hello my lovelies. This last chapter just did not want to be written.. whether it was my subconsciousness that didn't want their story to end or whether it was something else I am not really sure. However, I have finally managed to put pen to paper and finished the ending to CiNY's rocky journey.

Thank you all so very much for all your support throughout Sydney and Ethan's story. It has truly touched my heart.

Take care and be safe.

❤ ℳ

PS. Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter @mnjgreenhill or like my Facebook page to get updates on my upcoming projects...

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

6 Months Later

Sydney closed her eyes and rubbed her temple with her free hand while holding the phone with the other. "Ethan, I love you, but if you don't stop worrying I swear to God—"

"I can't help it," he cut in, "I just don't feel right being away with this looming over you."

Sydney sighed and swung her chair around to stare out the window onto the park below. Spring had finally peeked through the last of the winter snow and was doing its best to brighten up an otherwise overcast day. "You held out as much as you could. None of us could have predicted the trial would go on for that long. And, who in their right mind would think it would take this long for the jury to come to a decision?"

"If it's any consolation, my contact at the DA's office is sure they'll come to a consensus before the weekend. There's no way they'll want to be away from their families for that long," he said.

She let out a small moan. "Let's hope you're right; I'm not sure my nerves will hold out that long."

"Are you sure you don't want me to fly home?" Sydney could hear the concern in his voice.

"No. Stay in Berlin. You have a job to do, and babysitting me is not one of them. Besides, Grace and Stephen are coming over for a Margarita night, and Stephen is keeping me more than busy with work."

Ethan chuckled. "Perhaps it's best that I'm not there. I don't think I could sit through the three of you gossiping over photos from Grace and Mason's honeymoon."

Once Sydney had ended the call, she picked up a photo frame that rested on her desk, and smiled lovingly at it as she reached out and lightly touched the glass. It had only been two days since he'd left, and she already missed him dearly. She continued to stare at the image of her, Ethan and Walter, which had been taken on the promised trip to the Renaissance Faire.

Walter, in his element, hadn't stopped grinning the entire day. In fact, it lasted well into the following week.

In the six months since her father's capture and arrest, life had been a mixture of highs and lows. Without a doubt, she wouldn't have survived without the support and love of Ivy, Victor, and Grace. Her rock, however, had been Ethan. The expected storm had hit without mercy. Yet, somehow, for the most part, Ethan had pulled off a minor miracle and buffeted her from the typhoon.

With the backlogged court system, it had taken five months before the trial was placed on the dockets. Much to her horror, the case itself lasted almost four weeks. Even the press got bored after the first two, and the deluge of reporters trickled in numbers until the final days when it surged back up again. Not to be outdone, the jury, who were expected to bring back a quick verdict, seemed to enjoy their confinement and hadn't emerged in four days.

Throughout the trial, she had done what any normal person did in that situation. She hid out in Ethan's house in Long Beach. Not that she was complaining. While they still maintained their separate apartments, they spent just as much time together, away from the madness of New York city, and basked in the quiet normality of their self-induced bubble.