IV

I don't even know about this chapter, honestly. I hope you guys like it ;~;

---

The dark-haired boy showed up just shy of a week later. The four foster kids had been seated in the living room: Marco working his way through a video game, Mikasa next to him with a sketchbook in her lap, Annie in the recliner with her nose buried in a comic and headphones tucked snugly in her ears, Historia on one end of the couch reading a book with Eren on the opposite side with Lucy at his feet simply watching Marco play his game when the sound of the front door opening from the entryway reached their ears.

Eren's heart jumped in nervous anticipation at the sound though he pretended not to notice it, as no one else looked up toward the foyer. He listened as two sets of footsteps drew closer until a very smiling Petra entered the room with someone straggling along behind her. Everyone but Marco and Annie looked up in curiosity just as the boy stepped out from behind her. Though, 'boy' was used tentatively in describing him. He was still a teenager - that much was evident for several reasons, but there was something in his eyes that made him seem older than he really was. While his pale face was uncannily impassive, a fire burned within the depths of his dark eyes. To Eren, it was a bit unsettling.

As Petra made her introductions, saving Eren for last to explain to the newcomer - who she'd called Levi - he was the one Levi would be sharing a room with, Eren studied him. He wore a black hoodie and jeans above a tattered pair of Vans, a black ring through the right side of his lip, and a small black leather bag slung over one shoulder. His face was an even shade of ivory; his dark hair hung over his forehead and ended just over thin brows and narrow eyes. A color was difficult to decipher from his irises, but they were piercing. His overall demeanor was angry, but in a subtle, monotonous kind of way. Tired, too, in the way that said he'd been through a lot; Eren knew such a feeling all too well.

"I'm gonna show Levi to his room," Petra said. "Historia, you're welcome to stay for dinner if you'd like," she tacked on before heading back toward the foyer.

As soon as they were out of the room, everyone having offered their greeting no matter how quipped it was, they went back to the things they were doing, save for Historia who ruffled Marco's hair and headed toward the kitchen, saying she was going to help start preparing dinner.

Eren was left conflicted - follow Petra and Levi up to the room, just to scope it out, to observe his new roommate further, or stay right where he was and watch Marco continue to die in his game at the same spot and slap the floor, cursing mildly under his breath in frustration every time he did.

Strangely enough, something egged him on to make the journey upstairs. With a short scratch between Lucy's ears, he stood and tiptoed in that direction. From the bottom of the steps, he could hear Petra's muffled voice and an even quieter, deeper tone to fill in where she paused. Eren gripped the rail and pulled himself up the stairs, chewing on his lip the whole way. Sure enough, Petra was standing in the doorway to his - their - room, telling Levi to make himself at home. As he approached, she turned, casted him a smile, and disappeared back down the stairs, leaving Eren scrambling for a good excuse for going into the room even though it was, well, his room too.

Levi was sitting on his bed, unpacking the few belongings he possessed into the dresser next to it. Though he was facing away from the door, he looked up as soon as Eren set foot in the room, causing him to freeze in his tracks.

"If you've come to welcome me or whatever," Levi said, turning back to continue his work, "don't waste your breath."

Eren pressed his lips together and sunk down on the end of his bed. He hadn't planned on being the welcoming committee even if he wanted to speak. Truthfully, he was curious about the new addition to the household - where he'd come from and why. Simply who he was; Eren didn't want to be rooming with a total stranger. But without the desire or perhaps even the ability to speak, he figured that was useless and felt stupid for ever having such a desire.