Chapter Eighteen

My hands twisted around my phone as I listened to Bea make the first of many phone calls. After we left Dr. Davis's office yesterday, I drove to the closest supercenter and bought the nicest, cheapest go-phone they had in stock. Which it was surprisingly a touch screen that was somehow nicer and cheaper than my old one. Like the internet, touch screens no longer seemed to be optional.

The phone was blank slate. Void of any phone numbers, aside from Bea's, and anything to make it personal. It was exactly what I needed. I wished I had my old phone; it had all of my pictures and other little things that mattered to me. Instead it was probably sitting in a corner of that long hallway in France, gathering dust and slowly dying.

Bea looked over at me and gave me a thumbs up. Our first call was to get materials for our mangeant and other events. Putting together the events was proving to be the most difficult so far. Dr. Davis had faith we could pull this off in time, but I was starting to have doubts.

"Okay we have stage materials and lights," Bea said as she hung up her phone. "That lady was a real piece of work."

I let out a half-hearted laugh. "At least we have the things we need. Did you tell her the dates we need them on?"

"Yep." Bea tossed a lock of hair over her shoulder and bent her head to look at the papers strewn across our coffee table. "Have you started the posters?"

"You know I'm not the best at putting things together, right? You're the artistic one out of the two of us. But yes, I did." I twisted my laptop around to show her what I had created.

"You might not be the artistic one, but these look great, Em. Seriously. I love them. Send them to the copiers and print out fifty of each. Do you think that will be enough or do we need more?"

"What's our budget for printing?"

"Two hundred."

"We'll start with fifty then if we need any more we can get more. It's better than wasting our money and paper." I pulled up the university's print shop website. They had a neat option where you could upload what you wanted to be printed online and pick it up the next day. Hopefully they would be ready by then, we had a huge project.

"Always the environmentalist, Em."

I gave her a playful nudge. "Shut up."

"I hope you're ready for a late night because we have a lot of planning." Bea turned on her speaker and played a pop station softly in the background.

We immersed ourselves in the planning. I threw myself into calling stores, arranging for decorations, securing the ballroom in the University's Union, and anything else that could be done I was doing.

I was able to put behind us the France trip and all of the pain that I felt from thinking about Will. His lies, his truths, his ability to sweep me off my feet in the blink of an eye. All of that started to recede into the back of my mind as the last month of senior year started to fly by.

The semester gained speed and we were nearing not only our dance, but graduation. We had picked up our caps and gowns and any other cowls or ropes we needed and they hung neatly in our closets. Somehow in the midst of all the chaos, something changed in Bea and I caught her looking at fashion house openings in their marketing department. Or at least that's what I hoped she was looking at. All I saw was a brand on their site and careers below it.

I never let up in encouraging her to pursue fashion. She would be great at it, and even though her major was not in design, she could make it to the top someday. I had more than faith in her.