My Personal Odyssey

When I was a little girl my father, the painter and screenwriter, Irving Alexander Block, would tell me THE ODYSSEY as a bedtime story. Although it was quite frightening it really engaged my imagination and taught me a lot about how to construct a story as a series of obstacles to be overcome by the main character.  I was particularly fascinated and haunted by the witch, Circe, the sirens, and the Cyclops, a one-eyed giant.  All of these characters appear in some form in LOVE IN THE TIME OF GLOBAL WARMING and just like Odysseus and his men, Pen and her friends must overcome them in order to reach their ultimate destination of home. 

When I set out to write LOVE, I realized that there were many aspects of Odysseus’ journey that directly or indirectly reflected parts of my life.  I had just lost my mother to cancer, I was in danger of losing my home and, like the Cyclops (and another character I can’t reveal here), losing my vision.  Like Penelope I had to become an active heroine for the first time in my life and fight for my home and family.  Most of my protagonists up until Pen have had somewhat internal journeys.  This book was an opportunity for me to develop a character whose arc takes her from a passive to an active state.  It felt freeing to create a warrior who uses a “pen” as well as a sword.  I think that the world these days, with its many challenges, requires heroic actions and mythic bravery from all of us.

With Much LOVE,

flb

Question of the day: Have you read Homer’s ODYSSEY? If so, what part of it do you like the best?   What part of it best reflects and aspect of your life?  Is there a character you most relate to?