The Impossible Machine Of Fleet Street

The Case Of The Impossible Machine of Fleet Street

Holmes once said to me that science opened up a world of possibilities especially in the solving of crime, but as I was having lunch in my surgery I saw an article in the paper which seemed to break all the fundamental laws of science. It read:

__________________________________________________________________

                               The Resurrection Of The British Empire!

All though we British don’t admit, the British Empire was not what it once was.

But today that changes! Thanks to Professor Challenger’s greatest machine he calls The Teleport! What is this miraculous machine you ask?

This special machine can take a simple object and can make it disappear and reappear in a new location! Think of how this could further the Empire! You though probably do not believe, but here is how we can prove it to you. Professor Challengers Machine is in Fleet Street ready to demonstrate!-

__________________________________________________________________

I chuckled to myself and put the paper down. What a load of poppy cock, it’s impossible to make an object disappear and reappear somewhere new it broke all the fundamental laws of science. It sounded like something out of a H.G Wells Novel.

I carried on reading the paper though, there seemed plenty of work for my friend Holmes quite curious ones.

There was one about a gentleman’s body being found dumped in the Thames, a Jewellery Robbery in Fleet Street, a Kidnapping in Bond Street and a mad man who was found walking around the Halls of Buckingham Palace and no one knows how he got in, the guards didn’t see him nor did staff a curious case.

I sat in my chair and chuckled to my self about the Machine, wouldn’t it be great to prove it to be a scam? My maid suddenly came in and told me my last appointment was cancelled. So I decided since I’m free I’ll go and see this ‘Machine’.

Once in Fleet Street I found the building which was no different from the appearance of a public library. I went inside a found many people of different stations in life milling around donating large sums of money in a donation box next to a professor, who I deduced was Challenger.

The Professor was a typical man of his profession he had the rounded shoulders from being in an armchair studying. He was slim man in his fifties who looked well distinguished, he also had a prominent nose. I approached him and he welcomed me.

‘Hello sir, I take it your interested in my machine?’

‘I might if the machine works, my name is Dr Watson you are Professor Challenger are you not?’ He nodded and smiled.

‘Yes, a Doctor you say? I’m delighted to meet a man of a scientific background. Come, I let you see my machine and give you a demonstration as you’ve just missed the public demonstration.’

He had a delighted child like manner to him quite unusual to professors I have met in the past. He took me down a corridor.

‘Why is it I’m having a private demonstration?’ I asked.

‘Because you are the only one with a scientific background who has shown up, and I’m sure you would like to inspect it beforehand.’

We came into a large room with a great metal machine; it was massive in size and resembled something like a large boiler. He opened the heavy metal door slowly and showed me the inside of it. There was nothing to see inside it was just a metal chamber with no other door other than the one I was standing in.