Chapter 6

I found myself, a week later, staring straight ahead at the smudges on the black board, surrounded by the familiar smell of chalk dust and dirty gym shoes.

"This blows." I looked over at the kid sitting at the desk beside me, a big chubby guy whose blonde hair jumped up in erratic spikes, like it'd had enough and was trying to get away. Chubby kid shrugged, only glancing at me for a second before returning to his comic book.

Oh sure, ignore me for the adventures of captain underpants, why not?

I craned my neck to look at the only other person in the big empty classroom, a thin girl with carrot coloured hair sitting at the desk directly behind me. She had huge wire framed glasses and watery blue eyes.

"And how did you land in the hell that is summer school? You flunk Biology too?"

"Yup," she said shortly, and shoved her glasses up her nose aggressively, blinking at me as if she was daring me to say more. I face forward again quickly.

This was going to be a very long summer. Curse my perfectionist mother. This was probably just a way to get me out of the house so I wouldn't catch her sneaking into Sara's empty bedroom again. 

Instantly I felt bad for thinking that. I was a horrible son.

            The classroom door was propped open, footsteps echoed down the hallway

Finally the teacher, it was a wonder we hadn't all escaped yet. The owner of the footsteps breezed in, derailing my train of thought and I felt the easy smile slide off my face.

It was her.

She had blonde curls and wide blue eyes, gorgeous eyes, really. She wore faded jeans and black tattered high-tops and a red knit sweater. I knew that sweater.

"Hi," she said.

I shut my mouth and managed a shaky smile and a nod. She hiked her book bag higher on her shoulder, walking past me to sit at the desk on my left. Vanilla wafted by me, making my head spin.

It was her. How the hell was that possible?

"I'm Morgan. I don't recognize you, you from a different school?"

I jumped. She's talking to me, God, I'm such an idiot! What should I say?

"Hi."

Good job, Moron. Hastily I added, "Lucas. Nice to meet you. I'm from Farefield Academy, down the street. We don't have enough dumb students to hold summer classes, so I'm here."