Thirty-Seven: Motel Room for Two

Sydney

"That'll be a total of $74.99 please," The petite women behind the counter requested. She was giving us a mildly disappointed knowing look that made my stomach roll.

Elliot nodded and pulled out a fold of twenties and slipped out four.

"Keep the change." Elliot invited with a charming small smile.

The small elderly redhead smiled reluctantly at him. Sliding the money into the register she grabbed the key that had a tag with the tag 23 on it. Walking out of from behind her counter the older lady nodded, "This way please."

We followed her outside the small main building and out past various other door rooms. Stopping at the door marked 23 she unlocked the room and stepped into the darkroom.

Allowing us into the room she said, "We are doing renovations in a few of the others and the others are booked, this is the only room we have available. Will this be okay?"

My eyes immediately landed on the single king-sized bed in the middle of a fairly nice room.

For some reason, my mind flew to the thought of instead of Elliot being here with me, Jay walking into this room alongside me instead. Jay and I would be here by ourselves. Jay and I would be sharing this room. Jay and I would be sharing that bed.

Heat flooded my cheeks.

"Yes, just fine, thank you very much," Elliot thanked.

The lady nodded and handed off the keys to Elliot and left us alone.

"Sydney...Are you okay?"

Swallowing hard I looked at him and nodded.

"Yeah sorry. I was just thinking..." I drowned off.

Noticing that I wasn't going to continue on he added lightheartedly, "Don't we all."

Chuckling softly and humorlessly we shuffled about the room. Elliot dropped our bag stuffed with some necessities on the floor then rushed to the bathroom.

Sitting down on the edge of the bed I closed my eyes and let my thoughts drift back to not just Jaycen, but my brother and mom who were likely worried sick.

"Jay," I tested.

Nothing. No answer.

My wolf whimpered deep in the shallows of my mind, missing her mate.

Hey, I tried calling to her.

It was almost as if I could feel the shadowy movement of my wolf, but she didn't speak.

Sighing I decided instead of moping around I should probably clean myself up a little, at least clean I might feel a little better. In the mirror on the dresser, I observed not just the layer of dirt and grime coating my skin, but my eyes rang so sad and lonely.

Grabbing one of the little towels from the sink outside the bathroom, I dampened it. Wiping my face I could see I was visibly paler than normal.

"Time to call your Mate." Elliot's voice interrupted suddenly.

I jumped a little spooked.

Looking to him I just nodded and sat in the comfy chair beside the desk. Elliot took the chair pushed into the desk then handed me the phone.

"What's his number?" Elliot asked.

My stomach twisted again. At first, panic set in at the thought of being stranded again. But then another thought sank in me.