Introduction

• Dedicated to Tiffany Powell Sudduth

After five years in the French Foreign Legion, running from violent crimes committed in self-defense, Jacks wants to come home.  All he needs is the proof of his innocence.  He’s got the contact and the money to get it, if only he can manage to stay focused!  But hiding in the apartment over his parents’ pool house is the perfect distraction: a lush accountant with curves that fill out her clothes.   Nearly everything about the woman draws him- the full figure that would fill his wide hands; her large, intelligent brown eyes; the playful smile on her plush lips- but it’s simply a base, physical attraction.  It would be foolhardy to believe in the fairytales that promise more- that tout souls that sense a kindred spirit.  No, he’s just a rude cock seeking a roost.

After walking in on her husband and his intern in her bed, Sophie wants to walk away from all the mistakes she’s made and try again.  Certainly there are second chances out there, even for someone who’s managed to get herself tangled up with the mafia- but her heart simply won’t listen to reason!  It thrums erratically whenever Jacks is around, ignoring his presence on the FBI most wanted list or the fact his own family cringes whenever he walks into a room.  Well, there’s nothing for it: the heart must be overruled.   

Mistakes shade their past and haunt their present but Sophie and Jacks fight to make their lives something better.  They each think their futures shouldn’t involve the other; but amidst murder, deception, mafia threats and a final race to claim the object that could redeem one of their lives- just one, not both- Sophie and Jacks struggle to define what love is, who they can trust and, in the end, exactly the price they’re willing to pay for it all.   

Playing Jacks was a NaNoWriMo Project that got a bit out-of-hand.  Those of you following along will be relieved to note that the initial edits are finished.  Anything more will be smaller tweaks- not plot or character altering changes.  

You may have noticed that I sport fantasies of holding some ghost of a chance in the Watty's.  Please comment and/ or vote. 

Many thanks for reading, friends.

Anna