Part 2

Part 2

Des untwined himself from Angie. He knew he'd won the bet.

As if on cue, Genesis indicated that the planet was ready for Phase Three.

"Rise and shine, Angie. Phase Three needs both of us. It's going to be a long day."

Angie stirred but didn't reply.

"The surface is starting to solidify. We'll both need to shape it before we can start generating some life down there." Des watched the planet as he waited for Angie to respond.

"You make a start on the surface shaping, Des. I'll work with the life patterns to see what initial forms are required for a carbon-based planet."

Des quickly got to work, aware of Angie doing the same.

"Des, about our bet last night…" Angie began.

Des waited eagerly for her to continue.

"Don't do that again. I don't want to risk a pretty planet like this one. We're here for work, not recreation."

Des swallowed his disappointment. He really liked Angie – nothing made him feel the way she did. Perhaps, once she'd cooled off a bit, after Phase Six was finished, they'd have time for some more recreation…

"Des! Too many tectonic plates! Any life on that land mass will be shaken to death by earthquakes. Bond some of those fault lines better, please."

Des forced himself to focus on the task at hand. It wasn't as if Angie was going anywhere without him. She was stuck with him for as long as they both remained aboard the Genesis.

He built the land mass higher, so that much of it stood outside of the surrounding seas. It seemed no time at all before he was done. He stopped to look at his handiwork.

"Very pretty. Just in time, too – it's almost cool enough for the first life forms."

Des hadn't realised that Angie had been watching him. "Are they ready?"

"Just waiting for the temperature to stabilise and I'll start building proteins," she responded.

Both waited, not breathing.

Genesis informed them that the planet was ready for life.

Angie initialised the protocols for protein assembly, watching as they formed on the planet beneath. They were too small to see, of course, but the surface probes told her all she needed to know. Once she had her quota filled, she watched them multiply, adding and changing their forms as the Genesis indicated the precise points to do so.

Phase Four was Des's specialty. He teased the atmosphere, setting like with like until he'd bared his new continent to the sun's light. Angie did not seem to be impressed, but she had seen him perform these actions many times before.

She was hard at work on Phase Five and Six, ensuring life followed the patterns in the ship's templates. Des reluctantly offered to assist, but she dismissed him. "We'll need some of ours on the ground for Phase Seven. Go wake two of the sleepers."

Des hated waking sleepers. Some of them were grumpier than he was when he first awoke. He checked the duty roster for the next pair of names. Chava and Lucifer.

Fortunately, neither seemed too put out to be woken. He told them of the conditions on the planet before he fabricated suitable protective wear for them both.

"Ready for insertion?" Angie asked.

"Yes," Des replied.

Both he and Angie watched as the two planetary personnel entered the atmosphere and reported their safe arrival.

"How about a little bet?" he asked Angie.

"What are we betting on this time?" she responded cautiously.

"What happens to those two on the surface. I say it'll be the same as always."

"While I hope for something different," Angie replied. "There's something about this pretty planet…I will take your bet on a different outcome."

"Done, then! Nothing ever changes, you'll see. Now, let's watch Phase Seven unfold."