Part Two

I grabbed the nearest branch, dangling from it for a second as I tried to calm down my heart rate. I pulled myself up onto the branch, wishing I had time to rest. I quickly found the best route down the tree, and once I reached the ground I ran, taking as many turns as I could through the city in hope of throwing the watch's hounds off of my scent. My clock tower appeared before me, and I raced inside, barring the door behind me. Never before had the old, musky scent been such a comfort to me. I charged up the stairs, taking care to tread lightly on the weaker ones prone to breaking, and finally reached the floor I claimed residence in, practically falling into the rickety wooden chair near my window. I didn't feel like crying. I didn't feel anything at all except fear. Somehow, I knew I wouldn't get away with it this time. I lingered far too long in the manor. The dogs would have my scent and they would find me, it was just a matter of time. I stared blankly out the window, the orange flames of torches appearing in the distance, drawing closer with every second. My fear of death lifted as they reached just outside my tower, being replaced with pure adrenaline. I tore off my heavy black cape, tossing it to the floor, and peered out the window. The rosey-cheeked face of a city guard greeted me from below, looking up at me.

"If you do not come down immediately, we will burn this tower to the ground with you in it!" The guard barked at me. Despite his facade of fearlessness, I could see a nervous sweat on his brow. I was dangerous, and he knew it. Turning back to my room, I grabbed my finest sword and my standard-sized crossbow, slinging the latter over my back. I calmly walked down the stairs, the blood rushing in my ears telling me to run. I'd save my energy. I unlocked my door, swinging it open to be met with a dozen guards, crossbows aimed at me. I heard a click, followed by a stinging pain in my left thigh. I looked down. A wooden bolt stuck out of my thigh, and I winced in pain as I snapped it off, tossing the other end to the side. The guards looked at me expectantly. I took one step toward them. They moved back slightly. I took another step. As I did, my left leg gave way, and I fell to the ground. The bolt had been coated in a sedative. My last few seconds of consciousness were occupied by the faces of the guards contorting in laughter, and then blackness.

When I came to, I was somewhere dark and cold. I looked around. Grey bricks made up my floor, ceiling, and walls. I tried to roll over onto my side, but was restricted by cool metal chains around my wrists and ankles. I knew exactly where I was. Underneath the same manor I'd been before. No doubt Darrus had bought me out. I could hear footsteps slowly approaching my cell, and braced myself for the torture he would no doubt inflict upon me for killing his brother. But the physical pain would be no match for the mental and emotional pain of never getting to see Erun again.