♱ Chapter 4 ♱

Raven's P•O•V

I could feel my hands begin to shake as I gripped my warm coffee cup. I breathed shakily and glanced towards the cafe doors every ten seconds. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I waited for my brother to come in and tell me what he needed to say so importantly.

I felt someone tap my shoulder and I almost flinched. I turned and saw him smiling at me. I let go of my coffee and stood to greet him.

"Hey, sis," My brother, Steven, greeted me, wrapping me in a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around him and sighed in his chest.

"Hey," I mumbled softly into his sweatshirt. I let go of him and sat back at the table. He sat in the chair across from me and set his coffee down. He smiled at me, but pity was in his expression.

"Are you okay?" Steven asked and stirred the tan-brown liquid. I scoffed.

"Am I supposed to be?" I asked in a thick voice, recalling what had happened last night at the family dinner.

"In my opinion, no," Steven answered with a soft chuckle. My lips curved into a half-smile as I stared down at my untouched drink.

"Should I want them to forgive me? Are they even that important in my life? Or am I better off without them?" I said aloud, rattling off the questions that had been stuck in my mind all night.

"Raven... They're our parents," He started to say but I looked up at him and he stopped once he saw my expression.

"Don't lie Steven. They never have been my parents. We both know that," I said with a sort of hurt towards the feeling of admitting this aloud. "Last night was the first night in two years that they have ever called..." I mumbled and looked down at my coffee again. I felt a small feeling of anger ignite at the thought.

"And all they wanted to do was gloat to the family of how perfect our family was. Especially Casey," I hissed her name, rolling my eyes at the thought of even questioning whether I wanted my family back in my life or not. Last night had been the last straw. I finally took my coffee and sipped a little bit, hoping Steven would say something so I could calm my mixed emotions.

"I can't lie to you, Raven. I can't make you call them your parents. Who would I be if I did that to you? You're my little sister and the most amazing person I know," Steven said with a compassionate voice. I felt my eyes start to water because he always knew what to say. Always.

"When we were still in high school and still lived in the same house, I couldn't stand to see Mom and Dad oppress your individuality. It was outrageous! God, I just wanted to clock Dad every time he opened his fat mouth," Steven said and I let out a laugh. He smiled at me and chuckled.

It went quiet as he sipped his drink and I looked up from my coffee. I smiled softly.

"You always know what to say to make me feel better," I told him honestly. He smiled and put his drink back down.

"Oh do I now?" He asked with a laugh. I scoffed and nodded.

A small buzzing noise came from Steven's pocket. He pulled the phone out of his pocket. He looked at the screen and frowned, answering the phone.

"Hello?" He said and went quiet while whoever was on the other line talked.

"Yeah, I'll be there immediately," He said and hung up, getting out of the seat. I instantly knew it was the precinct he worked for.