Prologue (Unedited)

Vito's Senior Year at Palmetto High

I jump people in alleys for fun.  

I say shit I don’t mean. 

Yeah, I’m an asshole…always been one, always will be.  

The way I grew up, nice gets you fuckin’ nothin’ but stepped on. The mob life is brutal; a hazy, volatile run of survival. I don’t like it, but I am proud of my heritage and friends. 

One thing I admire is the loyalty.  I come from a long line of mafia. The Rossi’s have been here in New Jersey since the thirties.  My Pop has been gone on business for the Palmetto Mob boss for over a year. His loyalty is unwavering. Mom and I see him for holidays and he calls a lot.  It’s not the same as having him here, but Pop being away isn’t what’s wrong with me.  I can’t figure it out.

What the hell?  

  I just can’t get the kid out of my head.  Well, I guess she’s not a kid.  No… no… she is a kid.  She’s fourteen…  I’m seventeen.  Holy shit!  I could go to jail. Well, it wouldn’t be the first time and she’d be worth it. 

  I wouldn’t’ even had known she was that young if I didn’t overhear her sister Megan telling Antonio. Antonio is my best friend and dating Megan.

Ugh, shit!  

Maybe it won’t be so bad if she’s turning fifteen -- like tomorrow.  Every time I see her it’s as if she’s having the time of her life.  She thrives on laughter and fun.  Her happiness is contagious.  That’s probably why everyone likes her.  Erin is way more outgoing than Megan.

I’m trying, I really am.  I just have to keep repeating, she’s a freshman, you’re a senior. She has three more years of high school; you’re going to college next year.  Well, I will, if I get my head out of my ass. 

 She’s smart just like her sister.  I bet she’ll get an early acceptance to the college of her choice too. What would she want with a stupid ass like me.

That damn red hair! And that slim little body.  I know that this has to have something to do with Antonio going out with Red…Megan, yeah, that’s what it is. The O’Neill girls are different... Irish, not Italian, and forbidden

 Antonio’s father, the Mob Boss of Palmetto, New Jersey, warned all of us: Antonio, our friends, Ronnie and Louie, years ago to stay away from Megan.  Antonio Rinaldo Delisi, Sr. never mentioned Megan’s little sister, Erin.  He probably figured she was included in the warning to stay away from Megan, and she too young to be of interest to us.

After school the other day, while walking down the hallway near the science wing, I heard some chooches talking about her.  I almost slapped all of their faces into the lockers.  I had it all planned out in my head.  I was going to take them by the scruff of the neck one by one and SMASH.  I’m familiar with the sound of flesh hitting metal.  Then I was going to take them into the fuckin’ bathroom and wash their mouths out with anti-bacterial soap. But I held back…  

And that shows that I’ve been paying way too much attention to someone that doesn’t even know I’m alive.  I’m a chooch when it comes to getting attention.  I act  like the asshole I am.  I hit on her sister in church, Megan, and Erin didn’t even look my way.  That was just me being stupid.  I do stupid shit all the time because I don’t think, I just do.  It’s an important motto in the mafia.  Thinking can be very bad for your health, the cement shoes and lungs full of water kind of bad.

 She’s got a boyfriend.  I’ve seen him. He’s a scrawny little guy. His mother picked Erin up from school one day. I was standing in the doorway of the high school and I saw a mini-van pull up.  The door slid open and she hopped in.  Her face said it all, happy and excited to see her little pansy boyfriend. The guy is in the same grade as her, but he goes to another school.  Lucky for him…he doesn’t have to deal with seeing her everyday.  And it’s good because I might beat him up once in a while just for shits and giggles. 

 I am constantly looking for her in the hallways.  I know every class she is in.  I have actually cut a few classes to wait outside her classroom like a stalker.  This cannot be normal.  I know its not.  Maybe I need a shrink.  Some intense therapy might beat it out of me.  That’s it!  A good beating!