This Is Only the Beginning

Eric

Its so easy deciphering which of the kids come here willingly, and which ones were forced. The ones that are new, and are happy about Camp Summer, act all nervous and extra happy. But ones who would rather be anywhere else but here seem distant, sad, and dazed, exactly like that new girl, Jaelyn. 

As we drive to the camp the wind carries the murmurs of all the campers squished together in the back seats. From my spot in the passengers seat I glimpse through the rear view mirror spotting the new girl. Her wavy chestnut hair is tied up in a fashionably messy pony-tale. The eyeliner she wears makes her hazel eyes stand out. She has on a baggy sweater that’s open and showing a tight tank top underneath. Her dark jeans accentuate every curve on her body, and I wonder if she’s single. I see her look up and catch my gaze, she blushes looking away. I smile knowing that I’ll have her soon, because I know that no girl can resist my charm.

As a Vermont boy I grew up hiking, fishing, and skiing, pretty much anything out doors. It’s the life I love and know. A few years ago my dad bought Camp Summer. Ever since then, every summer I’ve always looked forward to the cool stuff we do there, and the new people…well girls that come.  We pass a huge field and I spot a man tilling his land. It brings me back to my first try as a kid when I worked on my dads farm and used the tractor. I remember getting the motor jammed in a rut, and my dad having to haul the machine out of the mud. All my childhood memories are about me and my dad. He’s the one who made me the man I am today, even without ever having a mom I feel like I turned out just as good as any other guy.

The bus veers sideways as we pass a group of horseback riders. I hear some girls squeal excitedly, because they know that soon at camp they’ll be doing just that. 

As were driving further and further south civilization becomes less and less. The smell of city and urban life, turns into country bumpkin air. The kids in the back moan every time the stench of cow manure surges in through the windows each time we pass a farm, I smile taking it all in. The green of the mountains and the height of the trees is just so breathtaking even for someone like me who sees it everyday. The sun is at its peak and it slowly starts to get warmer in this packed bus. I lean my seat back and turn the radio on to the country station. I hear some kids (mostly the city kids) moan again, but some (the country kids) start to sing with me, “She thinks my tractors sexy, it really turns her on…” Glimpsing in the back again  I see Jaelyn roll her eyes and put her sweater over her head. I laugh out loud. This is only the beginning.

__________________________________________________________________________

So what do you guy's think of Eric? Do you think that Jaelyn will fall for his northern charm? Why do you think the story is also in his P.O.V.? Comment, vote, tweet...etc. give Feedback and Inquire!!!

 And F.Y.I. the cutie on the right is Eric!!