Chapter 5

Ͼ Ella White Ͽ

I had all my childhood photos laid out in front of me. I looked at my whole life, from baby to toddler, to middle-schooler, to the place I am now. The drab photos all showed pieces of my happiness, whether it was simply me laughing at my Dad, or helping Mom with the housework.

I cast these photos aside. No time to dwell on the past, now.

I leaned back onto my bed, and closed my eyes. I was in my childhood bedroom. School was ending in about three days for Winter Break, and so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't miss me.

Ash had given me a couple days to "settle my affairs", before the wedding.

Settle my affairs? What the hell does that mean? Like, tell my friends? Ha! Who the hell do I have to tell? I was a complete reject at Charlotte Private School for Girls.

My fingers found my phone, and I opened the phonebook. I scrolled down.

Zack.

I bit my lip. Should I? He was the only one I could think of telling, but how would that conversation go?

"Hello, remember me, your old friend? Yes, that one. The one who left your school because it wasn't 'good' enough. Anyway, I'm getting married, to a guy I hate. Yeah, thanks. Bye!"

Right.

Screw it. He was the only friend I had left. I had to at least try...

I pressed call, and I waited. I didn't breathe as it connected. Ring, ring. Ring, ring. What kind of annoying, sadistic guy invented the sound "ring", anyway? It was so annoying, and so nerve-racking, it made me want to die.

Zack picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hello," I stuttered. "Um, Zack, it's me –"

"Hello?"

"Hello...?" I replied, wondering if there was something wrong with the connection. "Zack...?"

"Ha, tricked you! I'm not actually here," Zack said, his voice all cheerful. "This is my answering machine. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Leave a message after the beep, and all that. Not you, Liam. Just don't bother."

It beeped.

I sat in silence, for a couple seconds.

I hate you, Zack. You suck. You really do.

Suddenly, my door swung open. I shoved the phone out of sight quickly, turning to see my Mom coming into the room, carrying a tray. I hid my face into my pillow. I didn't want to see her right now.

I felt my mattress shift, as she settled herself down onto my bed. She put her hand on my arm, but I jerked it away.

"Ella?" she said. Her voice surprised me. She sounded like she was going to cry. My heart hurt a little. She was my Mother. I can't...she's been through so much to have me. "Ella, please look at me."

I didn't move, and just bit my lip. A little tear formed in my eye, but was quickly soaked up by my pillowcase.

"I'm sorry about this, Ella."

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat.

"Do you forgive me? Honey?"

I didn't move.

"Ella?"

Slowly, I looked up, and my Mom's face, shining with tears. How could I not forgive her...? She's my Mother. My one and only Mother.