Nine ⋆ Part 1

The cramped wooden stalls with bright fabric roofing and sweaty vendors were memorizing. The vendors sold luxurious items, such as fine cloth, berried pastries, or the most eye-catching wooden toys for children to their high paying customers.

I knew this wasn't a regular market, instead this was a market with a target audience, royals, lords and their ladies, court men and women.

The sight was quite enchanting. We don't have markets like this back home. Perhaps that is why I felt overwhelmed with all the bartering, creaking wagons passing, the clop of horses' hooves on the evened-out brick road, and people calling for service to draw their customers in.

I could barely understand what princess Celeste was clucking on about this time as she jumped up and down, pulling me towards yet another stand selling the most extraordinary jewels.

Young Celeste was so excited to be out of the castle walls, finding herself the most expensive items in an attempt to prepare for the festival coming up in six days. Her guards kept sending back to the castle anything she laid her gaze upon, from fine beads to flowerily perfumes. I couldn't imagine having such items, I didn't even know how to shop for said items.

As Celeste and I near the stand, the vendor greets us excitedly.

"Gods be my eyes! I have the most important customers at my shop this fine morning!" He exclaims, clearly excited to have the princess of Daelum as a buyer.

Celeste was interested in his jeweled necklaces, touching each one as she asked about them, but the vendor quickly pulled the tray away.

"No, no, no. Those will not do, maybe for a commoner, but not the princess!" He turns to his assistant, a young boy who sheepishly hung around waiting to be told what to do. "Koen! Get the princess something with taste!"

The boy hurries and pulls out a large casing with very dazzling, and might I say, flashy necklaces. They were showing Celeste the most spendy items they possessed. The vendor knew he could con such a young girl into getting something for more money when she could get a very similar item for less.

I shook my head, not wanting to interrupt Celeste's joy even though I wasn't as easily convinced.

Something catches my eye as I do so. I near the stand, examining the ring in the wooden and glass casing. The golden band was dainty, the blue sapphires being the main attention. The center sapphire was lighter than the two surrounding it. It was almost crystalline. A blue I have seen before in Thaddeus's eyes.

Thaddeus.

I had told Thaddeus what happened last night. I told him the attacker wanted me to join King Martell. I didn't understand why, but Thaddeus explained to me what was going on here in Daelum. The people were angry, blaming Martell for taking everything they have and spending it on himself and his churches.

Thaddeus believes that Martell wants me as a healer. A powerful asset to have at his side when his kingdom is facing constant attacks and uproars from his subjects.

Thaddeus stated last night that Martell needed me to keep him alive should his people that are rising up against him make their way into the castle walls ever. And his only way to try to blackmail me into joining him is threatening to tell the other kingdoms about Thaddeus's curse. Thaddeus believes a servant overheard us after dinner in the corridor, a loose end as Thaddeus calls it.

I don't know how he is going to save himself from that letter, from a few here in Daelum knowing about his curse. But I didn't worry about it much. Thaddeus is smart, he would find a way to cut the loose end off.

King Martell was a scared little old man, his own wrongdoings trying to finally catch up with him. But, as I glanced to young Celeste, I knew I couldn't be mad at King Martell for threatening me, he had much to protect.