Chapter 6 Cleansing of the Warden

Something was rotting

Something was rotting. The acrid smells pervaded overpowering the scent of the woods. Its scent was thick like fog and I could feel it seeping into the dark parts of my lungs as my breath became labored. The rot was heavy, making it harder and harder to breath.

Skin rubbed over my own, it was not soft like mine, but was rough and callused. My attacker. He was near, I could smell him rotting through my senses and his husky breath cut through the silent trees. It was ragged like the night he took me. My heart beats pounded and thudded like a drumming to warn of an approaching enemy.

He was here. I could sense it, and never again would I ignore those senses, but just as I fell into alarm, something soft touched me. Tender fingers strummed through my hair pulling me away from the image of my attacker. Soft murmurs began to drown out my brash thoughts, snatching away those fears, putting out the flames that rose in my nerves. The language I did not know, it was beautiful and I lifted my hands up as if I could capture it with my fingers, instead I caught something woolly. Fur surrounded me as the soft words hummed in my ears, it was a deep voice, but I was not afraid of this tone. So soft, as if it could never rise with fury. Then something wet invaded my ear and I wiggled with the intrusion, I think I may have tittered lowly before a deep voice called out startling me from the darkness.

'Stǫðva, Fenrir!'

I gasped and my eyes flung open like frantic blinds on old rollers

I gasped and my eyes flung open like frantic blinds on old rollers. Silver orbs met my startled gaze, the glowing eyes narrowed as the deep voice continued to hum soothing sounds into my brain. Then a large wolf rolled over on top of me, causing my body to bolt up from where I had been laying, my limbs scurried as I found myself wrapped up in a blanket upon the couch. The silver eyes leaned down over me and grey lips moved, saying something I could not understand. The wolf whined as I pushed it off of me and struggled with the blanket that had been tightly wrapped around my shoulders. The man knelt down before me, his large hands caught my shoulders. My body froze in his grasp and my eyes took in his alarming appearance once again flooding my mind with the same terror as when I first saw him. Despite my fear, the large black wolf made himself comfortable beside me, his snout rested upon my lap garnering a deep rumbling laugh from the man. He leaned in and put his hand upon the animal's head, between the black pointed ears.