Sample 2

Why is it that no matter how happy one is, something always seems to stand in the way? Two things prevented me from utterly letting go and just being happy. The first was the fear that Roman could wake up one morning and decide he wanted more than I was ready to give, maybe decide he’d had all he could get from me and move on.

The second was scorching guilt. Guilt that I was in a relationship while my best friend was unable to fall in love, even if she wanted to.

“Senia, you should enjoy yourself.” Miina pushed her bowl of ice cream aside and laid her hand on mine. “This is your time. You deserve this.”

She knew me well. In just the two weeks I’d been dating Roman, she suspected something held me back. I guess she put two and two together when she observed the way I hesitated before talking about my relationship or before leaving the apartment for one of my dates. Or the fact that I occasionally cancelled dates to spend time with her. Like today, when I’d offered to take her out for an ice cream treat—at the ice cream shop next to the restaurant Roman had taken me to on our first date—instead of going to the cinema with him. Miina had done everything in her power to change my mind. In the end, I decided to go out with Miina first and Roman afterwards. Roman would pick me up at the ice cream shop. I decided maybe it was time to introduce the two people who each held a piece of my heart.

I touched Miina’s cheek. “You do know that you’re one of the most important people to me, right?”

“Of course. Same here.”

“Good.” I dropped my hand. I’d remembered something I wanted to give her before Roman arrived. I rummaged in my bag until my fingers closed over the folded envelope of money. “This is for you.” I’d split the surplus money left over from paying some bills between Miina and I. Initially, I’d planned to give her everything, but when I spotted a pretty black dress in a shop window on the way to work, I couldn’t resist. I needed a little treat.

Miina curled her fingers around the envelope. A wave of embarrassment flashed across her face. “You don’t need to do this.”

“It’s not much, but you need it. It’s been a while since you sent something home to your family. Now put it away.” I didn’t want her to look inside the envelope while we were in public. Firstly, because the amount was shamelessly small. Secondly, because I didn’t want Roman to see me giving Miina money. He might never understand the extent of what we would do for each other. I’d promised Miina I would never, ever tell him about her illegal status. I’d always protect her. No matter what.

Miina nodded and pushed the envelope into her pocket. “Is that him?” Miina squinted at a spot behind me. “Wow.”

I didn’t need to turn around to know it was Roman. When he walked into the room, I knew it. I twisted in my seat and followed her gaze.

His hair was dishevelled and he wore a rough leather jacket. My heart turned over when his eyes locked with mine and lit up. “That’s him,” I whispered.

Roman strode the short distance to our table. Heads in the room turned. His good looks never went unnoticed. Was he really all mine?

“Hi, sweetheart.” He planted a kiss on my lips and looked at Miina. “You must be Miina.” He shook her hand. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

As she smiled, Miina also threw me a secret panicked look. I shook my head discretely to let her know her secret was safe with me. In fact, it had become our secret, because if she got arrested, we could end up in the same cell.

HONEYSUCKLE AND JASMINE is available for purchase on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1fm9W13