Chapter 1 cont.

Something was definitely not right. If there was ever a time in her life she wanted to be invisible, it was then. She noticed a set of feet coming at her. When she looked up, every pair of eyes in the hallway was staring at her – all except for one.

He was distracted, reading the class schedule in his hands, and heading straight for her. He slammed into her before she could move out of his way. She reeled back, almost falling, but managed to steady herself. He stopped and looked up from his class schedule.

She immediately noticed two things about him. One, he was undeniably gorgeous. And two, he was staring at her like he had just bumped into a ghost.

He didn't bother to apologize. He just lowered his head and hurried down the hall. She heard some of the nearby students snickering at her. Anger quickly replaced her embarrassment. She considered a variety of insults to hurl at them, but then realized she was directly in front of her first classroom. She silently darted into the room.

She found an open desk in the back and took a seat. The kids at her previous school were annoying at times, but Fallen Oaks High was setting a record for immaturity. The reactions to her in the hall were beyond bizarre, not to mention the stupid boy plowing into her and running away. She silently cursed her parents for the unwelcome changes in her life.

As the classroom filled up, the desk next to hers remained empty. Fortunately, most of the students were busy chatting after a long summer break and didn’t seem to notice her.

One of the last people to enter the room was a frail, timid-looking girl. She was trying a little too hard to go unnoticed and, in the attempt, tripped over a boy’s foot.

“Watch it,” he said, drawing laughter from those around him.

The girl bounced to her feet, raced to the back of the room, and plunged into the desk next to Mallory. She adjusted her glasses and sighed miserably. Mallory smiled at her.

"Nice recovery," she said.

"Oh, thanks," the uncoordinated girl replied. She looked over at Mallory and her eyes went wide. She leaned over excitedly. "You're the new girl!"

"How did you guess?" Mallory asked, feigning astonishment. "No offense, but what's the deal? Haven't you guys ever had a new face show up in school?"

"Sure. You’re like . . . the third one since kindergarten.”

“Dear lord,” she muttered.

“But it’s not a big deal,” the girl quickly added. She looked like she was about to say something but then changed her mind. "I'm Nina, by the way."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Mallory."

"Mallory . . ." She let the sound hang in the air. "That's such a pretty name."

"Thanks. It means unlucky."

"Alright class," the teacher's voice cut through the room. He was an older man with a short gray beard. He looked like a teacher right out of an old movie. His corduroy jacket even had patches sewn over the elbows. "As most of you know, I'm Mr. Foley. I will be enriching your lives for the next nine months as we study literature and the classics. I know everyone is excited to be back." He paused to smile at the chorus of groans. "But please remain quiet while I take attendance."

He started down the list of names. He paused after Mallory’s name, his eyes lingering on her for an uncomfortable moment before he continued. Soon after that, he was passing out papers and going through the usual first day routine. Mallory turned to Nina.

"Why does everyone keep looking at me like that?"

Nina shifted in her seat but didn’t say anything. Mallory thought she might not have heard her, but then saw that she was scribbling something on a piece of paper. Nina folded the note and passed it to Mallory when the teacher wasn’t looking.

Can you meet me in the library at lunch?

Mallory responded beneath it and passed the note back.

Sure! Where's the library?

Nina read the note, folded it twice, and stuffed it into her pocket. "It’s in the basement," she whispered.

Nina’s strange response only made her more anxious. They didn't speak for the rest of the period. Mallory had three more classes before lunch and the hours crept by at a snail's pace. She watched the clock, anticipating their meeting and what she might learn. She endured the stares and whispers in the hope that Nina could provide some answers. She wasn't sure how much more she could take.

At lunchtime, Mallory wandered through the crowded hallway until she found a stairway. She waited at the top of the stairs for a minute and watched the rest of the students head for the cafeteria. She was the only one going to the basement. Maybe Nina had taken a different set of stairs.

When she reached the bottom of the stairs the air turned cold. The place was dark and gave her the creeps. It reminded her more of a dungeon than the basement of a school. Her footsteps echoed off the walls and into the shadows as she hurried down the corridor. She didn't like being alone down there.

She found the door marked ‘LIBRARY’ in stenciled black letters. She flung open the door to escape the dark hall and shrieked. Someone was standing directly on the other side.

It was Nina. She must have scared her as well because the poor girl’s eyes were bulging behind her glasses. Mallory covered her mouth and laughed.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't know you were there."

Nina didn’t seem to find the humor in it. She gestured for Mallory to enter the library and shut the door behind her.

"We should be able to talk alone down here," Nina explained. "Follow me."

It was definitely a library. The unmistakable odor of musty books permeated the air. They snaked their way through the maze of shelves until they reached the back. Nina stopped at a small reading table. There was an open yearbook on it. Nina pointed to a picture near the bottom of the left side.

"Her name was Tiffany Thornton," she said in a voice that sent a chill down Mallory’s spin