Chapter Fourteen

Dresses

~Arden Diggory~

Once I calmed down, Hermione led me back to the hall. I had left the letter and small bag I received on the table next to Harry. When I returned, I heard Harry mention Draco's name when talking to Ron.

"Hey guys, we're back." Hermione said, giving the two boys a say-anything-and-I'll-kick-your-butt expression. Ron and Harry greeted us and I sat down. I picked up the letter and opened it. The letter was from my father.

Dearest Arden

I'm very excited that Hogwarts will be having the Yule Ball! Your mother and I hope you found a lovely date to escort you. We went to your vault and took a small amount from it to spend on your dress robes. We trust you will spend it wisely, and won't pick something risqué.

Cedric is a TriWizard Champion! Isn't that exciting? He came 1st in the first task! Oh how splendid it is! He's beaten Harry Potter! Your mother and I are proud we have someone in the family doing great things!

We love you Arden! Best wishes for your school year

Love, Mum and Dad 

 I scrunched up my nose, reading the paragraph about Cedric. My father always did get carried away about one of us doing great things, now I guess he's got the chance to brag about it... I put the letter aside and opened the bag. It was bewitched, so it looked small but had a large interior. I couldn't even count how many galleons were in there, but it was definitely a hundred or so.

"Blimey, Arden! I can see that gold from here!" Seamus called from afar. People at the table gathered around to look into my bag, and I quickly closed it to prevent them. "Come on, what's it for?"

"My Yule Ball dress..." I said. Boys at the table started listening in, wondering who I was going with.

"Who asked you?"

"You actually said yes to someone?"

"Why did you say no to me?" They all asked.

"What's all this nonsense?" A voice asked. I turned around and saw my brother, Cedric, standing behind me.

"Hey Cedric!" I greeted chirpily. Cedric smiled, and squeezed himself in between Harry and I.

"Why was everyone yelling?" He asked. Harry looked uncomfortable, and almost annoyed at Cedric interfering. 

"Just about the ball..." I said. Cedric eyed the boys at the table who all shouted questions at me, asking why I wasn't their date.

"Leave my baby sister alone. She's allowed to have her own choices. You all better not harass her about this again." The boys looked almost un-phased, since my brother wasn't typically the most threatening. The boys laughed slightly, until I grabbed my wand and pointed it at them.

"Do what he says or I'll make sure you never laugh again." I threatened. The boys nodded and looked away from my direction. 

"Uhh, thanks. So, who are you going with to the ball? I see father sent you a little loan for your attire." Cedric pointed to the bag of money. He looked around the hall and tried to guess which boy I was going with. "Is it that Blaise Zabini guy?" He teased. I nudged Cedric jokingly.

"No way! We may be friends, but I'm not into him that way. Besides, he asked Astoria." I said. Cedric kept looking over at the table mostly occupied by Slytherins. His eyes stopped on Draco, but he quickly shook whatever thought from his head. His eyes stopped somewhere, and a devilish grin spread across his face. "I know, it's Vincent Crabbe." He teased.