Part 19

The intense emotions that had crowded my mind subsided as I shakily lowered myself down onto the ground. Where the adrenaline had filled my veins was only a mere empty hollowness, like a church without pews or a pool without water. I clutched at the singed material of Jack's shirt, tearing the fabric from his blistering skin. The burn was already bright red and beginning to bubble and peel. I choked back a sob and leant away from the damaged figure before me.

"There you are April! We've been looking everywhere for you!"

The worried and relieved voices grew in volume. They were moving closer, but I couldn't bear to face them. A weight was dragging on my conscience, and that weight was named Jack.

"What happened here? Someone get Brodie! It's an emergency! MOVE YOUR ARSES!"

There was definitely more than one person shouting and directing orders, but the voices had all blurred together in a deafening roar. I covered my ears and squeezed my eyes shut in a childish and futile attempt to hide from the world. If I can't see them, they can't see me.

"Who's responsible for this? April! Please answer me!"
Brodie's voice sliced through my mind as he tugged away the hands covering my ears.

"I did it," I whispered, voice barely audible above the wild din of the emergency paramedics and gathering crowd.

"Pardon? Speak up April, we need to find the person that attacked Jack."

"I did!" I sobbed, pulling my hands from Brodie's grip and curling into a tight ball. The tears flowed unhindered down my face and dripped onto the thick fabric of my trousers. "Lock me in a cell, I deserve it. Please Brodie," I practically begged, leaping forward to grab hold of his collar.

"April, we're not locking you up in a cell! You're clearly delirious and more than likely in shock, just look at your hands - you're trembling like a drug addict."

"Help me Brodie!" I screamed and tightened my hold on his shirtfront. "I'm hurting good people! Lock me up and throw away the key! Just lock me up." My words faded, replaced by painful sobs that wracked my entire body.

"Thompson, sedative," Brodie ordered, holding his hand out to receive the syringe.

I didn't even notice the prick of the needle as it pierced my skin. My sobs diminished to audible gasps of air as the world faded to darkness. It wasn't a comfortable darkness either - it felt as if I was drowning. Drowning in my guilt and regret.

In a wild panic I fought against the darkness, struggling to free my mind from its clutches. It would be so easy to resign my efforts to the peaceful blackness, but I was unable to let go. I didn't deserve a peaceful rest. This was a cheated get-out-of-jail-free card that I had conjured from thin air and thrown into the game when it was most convenient.

"Stop fighting it April, just relax and calm down," Brodie murmured directions in my ear, "fighting won't help Jack."

That did it. Those four simple words relaxed my limbs and quieted my struggles. I had to help Jack, I at least owed him that much - even if he never wanted to see me again.

I woke up to the blank ceiling of a hospital ward. This wasn't the place I deserved to be. Criminals were arrested after committing an act of serious assault, why should I be treated any differently? From the corner of my eye I glimpsed Brodie enter the room to complete a routine check-up.

"Move me to a cell," I commanded, "I'm not ill, or injured - don't let me take up one of the beds."

"You're still hung up on that idea," Brodie sighed. "That's not how we deal with incidents like that here."