Chapter 7

The woods were too dark to see the low hanging branches and protruding roots until I ran into, or tripped over them. Again and again, I hit the ground, skinning my hands and knees. Every time, I got up and hoped I was still running in a straight line. I felt like I had run a marathon by the time I doubled over, gripped the stitch in my side, and tried to catch my breath.

If only I had known that one day I would have been forced to run for my life, I might have put more effort into gym class this year. As it was, my lack in preparation resulted in me stopping every few minutes to whine, and wheeze, and talk myself into doing it all over again.

The pop-popping of gunshots echoed behind me. As scary as that sound was, I got relief in knowing that as long as I heard shooting, Nathan was alive. What troubled me was the rustling my ears picked up between the roar of gunshots. Every time I stopped, whatever it was sounded closer. Something behind me. Something big. Something that was coming fast.

Unless those guys back there were shooting at each other, it couldn't be Nathan.

I dropped my head and ran. I pushed forward until my legs felt like jelly, until my throat was raw, my breaths were coming in short ragged gasps, and I was certain my heart was about to explode. When I could go no farther, I dropped to my knees and listened.

The unmistakable sound of heavy footsteps that crashed through the woods behind me was now too close for me to outrun. My only option was to hide and hope whoever it was ran past me. Then, I could backtrack and find Nathan.

I scampered behind a fallen tree a few yards away and peeked over it to watch for my pursuer. Only then did I realize I no longer heard gunshots. Either I had run out of range, or the battle was over.

Who had taken the last shot?

Nathan. Of course it was Nathan. It had to be Nathan. It would be really awesome if it was him running through the woods after me. I wasn't optimistic.

There was a separation in the tree canopy that allowed just enough moonlight through for me to watch as a man I immediately knew was not Nathan drew closer. He slowed as he approached, like he knew I was near.

He was tall and fit like Nathan, but that was where the similarities ended. He was even scarier looking than the others, with unnaturally pale skin enhanced by the moonlight and dark empty voids for eyes that meticulously scanned the area. When he turned in my direction, I lowered behind the tree. I hated to not keep my eyes on him, but I couldn't risk letting him see me. I stayed down long enough for his gaze to shift away from me before I lifted my head.

He was gone. My eyes darted around, desperately trying to locate him. I strained to hear one footstep, one snapping twig, one heavy breath. I heard nothing.

"Boo."

I jumped away from the voice inches from my ear, and a scream rose up in my throat as I spun around, coming face to face with him. His eyes were no longer empty voids, but burning golden nuggets. They could have been tiny flames, and I was staring into the very pits of hell.

With a humorless laugh, he lunged for me. His grip was tight as it clamped around my waist, and he hoisted me up in one arm like I was a ragdoll. His free hand covered my mouth to smother my screams as he lugged me back toward the road.

I dug my heels into the ground, trying to slow our progress, but my feet ineffectively dragged behind me. I drove my fingernails into his arms in an attempt to inflict enough pain for him to loosen his hold. When that didn't work, I went for his face. He shifted and tightened his grip so that I couldn't even do that. I struggled to breathe with his viselike clutch around my chest, and that only intensified my desperation. I kicked my feet at his, and he stumbled slightly.