o n e

~Lillian~

I've never been a morning person, well at least not until today. It's easier to get up when you have a reason to.

I packed my necessities the night before in a large grey duffel bag. Now that I was up and ready to go, I reached under my bed to find it.

I walked over to the other side of my room and took a few moments to look at myself in the mirror. Considering it was 2am, I didn't look too bad. My ashy brown hair was a bit messy, but I didn't have time to fix it.

I double checked that I had everything and opened my window once I was satisfied. I tried to be quiet as I slid out the opening. My room was on the first floor, so I didn't have to worry about jumping out. I wanted to squeal with joy but I contained myself. I wasn't free quite yet.

I crept towards the gate that separated the upper class neighborhood from the middle class. I swung my bag over and began to climb. After a bit of slipping and falling I finally reached the top. Without thinking, I jumped down. Bad choice. I landed on my ankle. Hard. Yup, I thought to myself, I had definitely sprained it.

"Shit," I mumbled.

My ankle throbbed for a split second, and I considered going back. No I couldn't. Not after what they did to Grandma.

I tried to stand up, but immediately fell back down. I clenched my teeth to keep from crying out in pain. Using the gate for support, I tried to get up again. I shifted my weight to my good ankle, trying to keep my balance, and ignoring the throbbing in the other. Once I felt balanced, I let go of the fence and limped to my bag.

The walk to Baker Street was going to be a long one. So I took a deep breath, wished myself luck, and began my journey.

I walked on for about two hours. I had to stop a few times though because my ankle was killing me. I could finally see the old and abandoned house.

"Well," I muttered, "it won't be abandoned anymore."

The once white panels were cracked and streaked with gray. The shutters chipped and were barely hanging on. I limped up the porch steps, and made my way to the door. Dammit, there was a fairly new looking lock on the door.

The lock was obviously put there by the city officials, and after messing with it for a few seconds, I realized it was probably impossible to unlock. I headed to the back of the house. Just like I thought, the back door was unlocked. Dumb city officials. I barely touched the door, and it creaked open, revealing a partially furnished room. Everything was coated in cobwebs and dust, but I was too tired to care. I threw my bag onto the filthy tile floor, plopped onto the couch, and elevated my leg on the arm rest.

I remembered the first time I saw this place. On Halloween, my "friends" invited me to hang out. I was uneasy at first, but my mom forced me to go. I'm pretty sure she just wanted me out of the house. We met up at Brendon's house. He and I didn't get along too well, but my friends practically swooned in his presence. The night started out like any other party. People were taking shots and screaming about absolutely nothing.

Then one of my "friends" suggested we check out the "haunted" house. We made our way over, most of the idiots drunk out of their minds. It was then I decided that I needed to leave home.

No, not home, prison.

_

********

Waking up face down on the floor didn't feel too good. Especially when you already have a shitty ankle. I must have fallen asleep and then rolled off the couch.

"Stupid couch," God, now I'm talking to the furniture. I got up and walked to the window. Judging by how bright it was outside, it was nine or ten-ish in the morning. I started to wander the house, but I avoided the second floor because well, I'm not sure how I'd do on stairs. Most of the rooms were empty empty. However, I was able to find a kitchen, bathroom and master bedroom. The bedroom consisted of a mirror, dresser and bed. The bed frame was slightly damaged, but doable. The mattress was another story. It was torn, dusty, and and had lumps of fluff pouring out of it. The fabric was coarse, thin, and almost brittle. The whole thing was tinted a weird yellowish brown color. I dragged the mattress out the back door and tossed it. There was no way I was sleeping on that.

I went back into the house and grabbed my bag. Bringing it into my new room, I found myself an outfit consisting of a black t-shirt with "Halsey" written on the front and dark gray leggings. I found a ponytail buried in the depths of my bag and put my long hair in a messy ponytail.

I couldn't help but smile. I had a feeling today was going to be a great day.