13 • Same Old Love

The class roared to life once the bell for interval rang

Eva remained where she was though, her eyes stubbornly trained on her desk, not wanting to acknowledge Terrence’s presence.

“Aren’t you going to eat something?” he asked her and Eva reacted by moving further into the wall, wanting so badly to cut off any interaction. She just wanted to be left alone, why couldn’t the stupid boy do that?

She ignored him, knowing that answering him would only lead to him asking something else in return. He didn’t know how to shut up.

He sighed and sat back down next to her instead of joining the other students and running into the playfield outside.

“Here,” Terrence said, pushing towards her his red lunch box which had MARVEL written in big, bold black letters across the lid.

Her eyebrows, which was probably the most prominent feature of hers and made up for the otherwise unhealthy look she had about her, shot up in astonishment. She then shifted her gaze from the lunchbox back to the red-haired boy.

“What is this?” she asked, her forehead creasing as she frowned in curiosity.

“A lunchbox,” he replied much to her chagrin, “it’s where you store food—”

“I know what a lunchbox is!” Eva cried, her cornflower eyes flashing with unnatural anger for an eight year old. Perhaps she’d inherited her father’s temper. Or maybe her dislike for the boy and his assumption that she was stupid just didn’t sit well with her.

“Well, you asked!” he defended himself, but Eva could see a slight pink colour dusting his cheeks as he spoke.

“I asked you why you were giving me your food,” she huffed, still miffed.

“Oh, that… well, I thought you didn’t have any?” he sounded unsure all of a sudden.

“I do,” Eva replied curtly and pushed the box back to Terrence.

“You’re welcome,” he muttered, causing Eva to snap her head back to his direction.

“For what?” she asked incredulously.

“For sharing,” he said, seeming annoyed at her now.

And then shooting a glare at her, he abruptly stood up and left the classroom, leaving Eva to her own devices as she wanted.

---

Eva clasped her hands tightly together on her lap as the smartly dressed old man drove her out of school her new house. She really couldn’t understand why Logan had a man for driving her to and back from school and whenever her mum and he went out together for dinner. Didn’t Logan know how to drive?

But when Eva looked around her out the window of the grand white car, she saw that most children had cars similar to hers pick them up instead of those big yellow school buses at her old school.