Chapter 19

When he was done, it was clear what Marco had been building: a cross. A wooden cross with rope tied to it to hold down her arms and legs. Then a noose was added.

“Again, if I’m the Anti-Christ, should I really be getting a Jesus type of death?” Sapphire asked, trying to prolong the process until she could somehow find a way out.

“It’s a symbol of why you died and for whom.” Marco bent down and grabbed the ropes that tied her to the ventilation system.

“So why the name Quinn Wallace; don’t you want people to know who you are, Michael?”

Marco frowned and began cutting the rope with his knife.

“That little bitch. I knew she’d rat me out. She never appreciated what I was trying to do for her. Nobody ever does. Either way, she was just meant to be a gift for you.”

He cut the rope loose and holding her by her wrist, led her to the cross neatly set up on the ground.

“Michael,” Sapphire suddenly said, her voice soft. “Thank you.”

Marco, or whatever his name actually was, stopped still holding her wrist tightly. He turned to her, surprised. “You’re...you’re welcome.”

“I really mean it. I appreciate what you’ve done for me. The gifts...” she nodded towards the cross. “This. Everything. I understand it now.”

“You do?” His voice was almost sweet, hopeful like a child’s. 

“Yes, and if you don’t mind, I’d like to show you my appreciation.” Slowly, Sapphire let her lips search for his. Marco hesitated, and in that hesitation his grip loosened around her wrist. Just as Marco started to pull back from her kiss, she head butted him, right in the nose.

Dazed, Marco stumbled back a little; his hand let her wrists free and shot up towards his bleeding nose, protectively. Swiftly, Sapphire lifted her foot and sent it straight towards his stomach. Before it had even a chance to connect, Marco grabbed Sapphire’s foot and twisted it. She spun through the air and then tumbled to the ground, hitting the cement face first.

Sapphire rose to her feet as fast as she could and looked at Marco, spitting out a wad of iron-tasting blood from her mouth. Marco was angry; his eyes darkened and his expression was cold.

“Thou shall not tell lies! The devil himself is in you.” Slowly, his anger dissipated and a smirk grew on his face. “You know you could never beat me. Not then, not now. But go ahead; give me your best shot.” He wiped his nose free of blood with the back of his hand and gave her a challenging look.

Sapphire attacked and he blocked her every move. She attempted a butterfly kick, but he grabbed her leg and spun her around, pulling her entire body in his arms.

“It’s almost sad how hard you are trying right now,” he said and pushed her body away, smacking her back down onto the ground.

Sapphire coughed. The pain was excruciating, no doubt the fall broke at least two ribs.

“Aw, poor little Sapphire. You know, for being the Anti-Christ, you’re really not that bright. You actually believed we randomly ran into each other all those times. You even believed my puppy dog eyes.” He imitated his old self, softening his voice, making it sound nervous. “I...I just don’t want you to think I ask all my clients out.” His face returned to vicious. “Pathetic.” 

Sapphire wheezed and squirmed on the ground, trying to get her breath back.

Marco laughed domineeringly. “Yet even after the gifts, you were so focused on finding me and watching what was in front of you that you forgot to look over your shoulder.”