Diary entry 23 - Flatlined.

Drake POV

Beep..........beep..........beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

That sound sends my heart on a scary roller coaster. Not one that I enjoy.

She's flatlining.

"HELP! SOMEBODY! COME HELP!" I yell from outside the door. I look back at Evangeline and she looks like all of the life has been drained out of her. Her condition has worsened since the last time I saw her.

A group of doctors run into the room. "We're losing her. Out of my way, nurse!"

The quick-thinking young doctor charges with the defibrillator paddles and places them on the chest of the lifeless patient, whose cardiac monitor is showing a straight green line. "Charge," one of the doctors shouts. "Clear." She gets a huge dose of electricity; her back arches and his limp body lifts up off the bed with the shock. "No pulse."

Evangeline's parents come running inside the room.

"No no! My baby." Her mother cries, trying to get to Evangeline. The dad holds her back, letting the doctors do their work. She turns and sobs into her husbands chest. He rubs circles on Evangeline's mothers back.

The sound of the electricity touching her chest echoes through the small hospital room. My heart palpitates in my chest, threatening to break through my bones and out into the small space.

Panic surges through my body. She's dying.

"Charge, clear." Zap. "No pulse." The doctor shouts again. "Charge, clear." Zap. "No pulse."

"Goddammit. C'mon Blossom. C'mon!"

Brian and Cassy rush into the room and take my side.

"What happened?" Cassy asks franticly.

"She...sh-she's flatlining." I choke out. Brian and Cassy stare at each other, having an eye conversation before Cassy's eyes start turning red and puffing up. She grips onto Brian's collar and he pulls her into a bear hug. His arms wrap around her waist and his head rests on her shoulders, whispering soothing words into her ear. I can tell that he is doing everything in his power to hold back the tears.

I don't know if I'll ever have that. I won't be able to hold Evangeline in my arms and comfort her when she's sad or scared. And it's all because I was so stupid and dumb.

"Charge, clear." Zap. "Pulse! We have a pulse!" The doctor shouts cheerfully. I sigh a shaky breath, but relieved. She's going to live. She's going to live. I keep telling myself.

Seconds pass, then the familiar, comforting waveform appears on the monitor. The doctors pull her parents aside and they speak in hushed tones.

I move away from Cassy and Brian and sit on the hospital chair next to Evangeline. She rests peacefully in the bed that she might never wake up in.

Once the room is cleared out and I'm the only one next to her, I grab her hand and squeeze it. "Evangeline. You have to wake up." I frown. "You have to..."

My eyes start going black at the sides and then I black out.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

I feel something move in my hand. My eyes open slowly and Evangeline's small finger is moving. Slowly.

"Evangeline! C'mon. Move Blossom, move!" Her fingers move faster. "Open your eyes." I see her eyes move faintly. "You're doing it. Try harder." I push.