THREE

She stared at the grass beneath her, unable to meet his gaze.

"Shianna."

"Hmm?"

"Look at me, please."

With a sigh, she raised her eyes, desperately wishing he was there to help her through it.

"Have you decided what to do yet?"

Shaking her head, she looked away again.

"I can't make the choice for you, but, if it were me..."

When he trailed off, she turned her eyes back to the sending crystal, hoping he wouldn't offer her a choice, instead ordering her to a course of action she could blame on someone else, leave the responsibility of choosing in another's hands.

"I've never been much for doing the prudent thing, which is probably why we're friends. Alike in that way, aren't we?" Dorian waved a flippant hand in front of his face. "I say you fight for what makes you happy. Damn the risks. Take hold with both hands and plunge headlong into danger. That's gotten you this far, hasn't it?"

She rubbed her chin against her shoulder, scratching an itch. "It's one thing to do that when it's only my life on the line. This is..." She released a tired sigh. "This is another thing entirely. I can't be selfish when it comes to this. If something happened, if I couldn't..."

Her eyes watered as her throat constricted once more, cutting off her words.

"I can only imagine, dearest. Believe me, I understand your heart. I can't tell you what to do, but whatever you need, whatever you decide, I'm here no matter what."

She sniffled a little and nodded. "Thank you, Dorian."

"Feeling any better yet?"

"Less hysterical, anyway. I should probably get back to them. I've embarrassed myself enough for one day, I think."

"Well, make sure you thank that lummox for letting me know you were in distress. I rather like playing the hero, and if you don't give him enough credit he might cut me off."

At last, she felt a small, genuine laugh bubble in her throat. "It's adorable you think he'd ever deny you anything."

Dorian rolled his eyes, a look that never failed to lift her spirits. "How you continue insisting a big, bad magister like me and a massive horned beast like him are anywhere in the vicinity of adorable gives me headaches trying to understand."

"Must be my feminine sensibilities clouding my judgment."

He barked a loud laugh and shook his head. "And she has jokes! Now I know you're feeling better. All right. I'd better find out what party Maevaris is insisting we attend tonight. If you need me for any reason at all, though, don't hesitate to contact me, got it?"

"Is that an order?"

"Only because I know you secretly like that sort of thing."

"From your lips to my husband's ears." She smirked at the crystal, already missing him.

"I can arrange that."

With another laugh, she waved him off. "Go flounce for your countrymen then. Do have a drink for me, won't you?"

"For you, my friend, I'll drain a cask dry."

His image faded, as did the pulse of the sending crystal, leaving her alone with her thoughts once more. While Dorian had at least broken the chokehold of fear gripping her, he hadn't done much else in the way of making her choice more clear. Dorian followed his heart, no matter where that led, but his advice wasn't overly practical. Although, if she wanted a straight, practical answer, Vivienne was likely a far better option. She could almost hear the First Enchanter's words echoing in her ears.