Chapter 2

My mom, Alyssa, and I went berry picking and found some leaves and fruits to make a salad for tonight. Then while Alyssa and my mom kept the fire going, the boys and I went hunting. We came back with 2 rabbits. By now the adrenaline rush had worn off and we were all exhausted. So I made dinner and we ate and fell asleep.

When I woke up Nathan was already up keeping watch. All of a sudden I heard a hisssss. I told Nathan to wake everyone up. To my left slithering right by my foot was a snake about 2 feet long. It was colorful so I knew it was poisonous. I said, "Everyone stay very still and no talking."

All of a sudden Ryan screamed. We all looked over and the snake had sunken its fangs into Ryan's leg I quick took our homemade bow and arrow and shot it at the snake. Meanwhile Ryan was having multiple seizures as soon as I looked at him I new there was no saving him we had tried to suck the venom out but we couldn't when the seizures stopped his heart had stopped. Mom said to me, "All he did was sneeze I didn't know it would kill him."

           "It's ok. It wasn't your fault" I told my mom. We then dug a grave for Ryan next to the graves we dug for the rest of my family so that they could all be together.

            After we were done and we had said prayers around their graves, we went to bed.

            In the car we were singing loud and proud. We were all together again. I smiled and laughed. Then the guy t-boned us, rammed up against us, and eventually the crash happened. The truck split in half, and 4 members of my family died.

            "ASH! ASHLEY!", my mom yelled. "What?", I drowsily asked as she had just woken me up. "Honey, you were screaming. Do you wanna talk about it?", she asked. I was about to say yes but then I saw that the others were up, "No thanks", I said. "Ok but just know that I'm here if you ever need me", she said. "Ok mom", I said.

                    "Uh mom." I said.

                    "Yeah hun" she said.

                    "You don't look too good"

                    "I don't feel too good"

          And then she passed out. "Feel her forehead", I ordered Alyssa. "She's burning up", Alyssa said. "I think I remember how to make medicine", Nathan said. "I have to go hunt", I said,"You collect the items we need and I'll get our dinner".