Chapter 20 (Admiration... Lust)

****
  Sapphire below. Imagine pale blue eyes instead :). ENJOY!!!

Kaylyn moved downstairs with Sapphire skipping behind cheerfully

Kaylyn moved downstairs with Sapphire skipping behind cheerfully. She immediately went towards the door quickly so she could leave before Matthew could give her another lecture. As soon as her fingers reached the doorknob, she paused upon hearing Matthew's voice. She cringed inwardly.

     "Where are you going?" he asked and Kaylyn rolled her eyes before turning.

       "I thought we already had this conversation," she sighed in frustration.

        "You haven't had breakfast," he pointed out ruefully.

         "I will grab something on my way," she told him. Of course she knew that she hadn't eaten; she was feeling ravenous for Christ's sake, but she didn't want to be in the man's presence for even a second.

      "No, you will eat here. I've already prepared breakfast," Matthew retorted steely, his gaze narrowed.

Kaylyn's eyebrows rose at that. Matthew Mayhew prepared breakfast? She found that hard to believe, but it gave her another reason to leave. She didn't want to fall sick by the man's cooking.

       "No thanks," she quickly said.

Matthew raked his fingers through his hair in frustration. "Are you forgetting the baby?"

Kaylyn froze, and before her lips could part to form words, she heard a small gasp.

    "What baby?"  Sapphire squealed, looking from Matthew to Kaylyn repeatedly with a questioning look on her face.

Kaylyn gave Matthew a look-what-you've-done glare, but he simply bent on his knees with a faint smile on his face. He held Sapphire's small hands in his and cleared his throat.

       "Pumpkin, Kaylyn's going to have a baby," he announced softly and Sapphire's small mouth fell open as she spun to glance at Kaylyn in disbelief.

Kaylyn offered a smile, not sure what the child's reaction to the news would be like.

      "A baby?" she exclaimed moving slowly to Kaylyn.

Kaylyn nodded, momentarily glancing at Matthew who had a proud smile on his face.

       "Will she be my sister?" Already confirming the gender, Sapphire glanced at Matthew.

He nodded and she squealed in excitement, running towards Kaylyn and hugging her legs. "I wanted a baby sister for so long," she murmured against her legs, and Kaylyn laughed heartily, patting her back.

     "When will she come?" she asked a moment later, staring up at Kaylyn with joy in her eyes.

     "Couple months," Kaylyn told her and her face slightly fell, but then she grinned.