Chapter 23

Chapter 23

And we did we ran and ran, we ran the whole way down the trail. There was nobody around and we had the whole path to sprint. After a little bit I figured I was slowing us down. Being vampires I knew the boys could run faster than what they were and if I didn't do something we weren't going to get out of there in time. The first idea that popped into my head was magic. I could use magic. But I didn't know how to make myself run faster.

As I ran as fast as I humanly could the first thing that came to mind was rhyming. In stories rhymes always seemed to work. My mind raced as I came up with the best thing I could on the spot. I whispered aloud to myself:

                   Fast, fast, I need to be fast

                   Fast, fast as fast as a blast

                   Fast, fast so I don't come last

                   Fast, fast make me fast

                   Fast, fast, so I don't get left in the past

I repeated my rhyme twice more and then I actually started to notice the difference. I was moving faster, inhumanly faster. In no time we were back across the bridge and in the parking area. We stood beside the cars panting because what took us 35 minutes to go up only took us 6 minutes to get down. I leaned against the car trying to get my rapidly beating heart under control.

"We'll take one car," Daniel said a little breathlessly.

Josh cut in, "They probably know which one is ours."

Chris cursed and slammed his fist against the car. He seemed a little tense after his near death experience.

"I can fix it," I realised.

"Jezebel, not now, just get in the car," Josh replied.

The tension in the air was electrifying, "No, look I can help. Now shut up and let me think."

I placed one hand on the boot of the car and closed my eyes. I pictured in my head what I wanted to happened and then used the increasing panic I was feeling to fuel the magic. I focused on the car and listened to Josh as he gasped. I reopened my eyes and looked at the car that was no longer a black Porsche, but a golden Toyota Camry. Chris laughed and came up beside me. I turned to him and gave a small smile.

He hugged me in return and whispered in my ear, "Thanks Jez, for the car and back there. You saved my life and I'm going to do my best to save yours."

He pulled away, "But seriously get in the car."

I hoped in the back and closed the door behind me. Daniel and Josh were having words but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Eventually Josh conceded and hopped in the back with me. Daniel sat in the driver's seat and Chris in the passenger seat. Daniel revved the engine and drove out of the car park way over the speed limit. I fidgeted with my fingers wondering how long they were going to stay unconscious for because I had a feeling, a very bad feeling.

We were heading back the way we came and Josh was trying to use his cell phone but apparently wasn't getting any reception. Josh got frustrated with it and threw it on the floor of the car. He swore and leaned forward, head in his hands. I looked to the front of the car and noticed Daniel's knuckles where white from gripping the steering wheel so tightly. Chris was trying to get his phone to work as well. They all seemed in a state of panic and I didn't really understand why I felt so calm despite my bad feeling.

"Will someone tell me what is going on? Everyone avoided it the first time Kyle turned up but I need to know what the hell is going on!" I ordered of them.