October 5th

Since I’m sure everyone else is going to be writing about the boiler exploding yesterday, I’ll be different. Or I would be if I had anything else to write about. Sadly I don’t, so here we are. I have to say that Kevin and me were lucky. If he had felt sick again during class, we might have been in that hall when the thing blew. We were safe in the bathrooms though we certainly heard it! I wonder how long it’ll take them to fix everything.

            Leah stretched her arms over her head as she leaned against her locker and glanced over at Kevin. He was frowning down at his hands where they rested in his lap, his eyes flickering side to side slightly. She shrugged and poked his shoulder, making him turn to stare at her. “What’s the matter?”

            His forehead wrinkled further and she sighed. “What’s wrong?”

            “I am concerned about what occurred yesterday. Many people are speaking of it,” he replied, hands sliding back until they fell off his legs.

            “Yeah, the boiler exploded. People are going to talk about that,” she said, keeping her voice level while trying to use her eyes to tell him to shut up.

            He understood her unspoken message as well as he understood everyday life as a human. “There was significant damage. I would like to help in any way I can.”

            She rolled her eyes and scooted closer to him, hoping no one was listening. “Look, the only way you’d be able to make any kind of difference is if you went all…Harry Potter on them. I’m telling you, that’s not a good idea. Not if you don’t want to end up dissected and treated like an alien or something. Just, you know, next time don’t make anything blow up.”

            Kevin nodded, face still creased with what she guessed was concern “I would not have but there was no nearer water source. Any of my higher level magics require a water source. Had she not been earth, I would not have had to resort to such drastic measures.”

            Now Leah frowned. “Then why don’t you carry a water bottle or something around with you? Heck, I bit you could fit at least two two-litre bottles of water in your backpack, no problem. I don’t know how much water you need, but that ought to give you something to work with.”

            He stared at her several moments before smiling. “I had forgotten that in this form it is easy for me to carry objects. It is a good idea and one I am certain my enemies here will not have thought of. Thank you.”

            She waved away the praise. “If it keeps you from moping cause you made part of the school explode, something most students would love to do, then that’s good.”

            “May I ask you something?” he said after a moment’s thought.

            She smiled. “You just did.” He blinked and frowned, opening his mouth. She shook her head and said “Just ask.”

            “Will you describe your opponent? I am afraid I was far too concerned with the mage to be able to trust my memory.”

            Leah shrugged. “He was big and muscled, battle-type I’m guessing. Long arms and a good reach. His stance was a bit weak though. His hair was dark blue and his eyes were silver or really pale blue, I can’t remember which. Oh, and he shot an ice ball at me.”

            His frown came back, deeper now. “Ice spell and silver-blue eyes? Are you certain?”

            She nodded. “Pretty sure. He didn’t hit me hard enough for my memory to be all weird.”

            Kevin’s hiss was low and made her reach reflexively for vambraces. “That sounds entirely too much like the Ehesh clan. There have been other hints that they are involved in this. I worry that this is a plan on their part to regain their fallen status.”

            “For those of us who are human, AKA me, would you mind explaining?” Leah whispered, putting one hand on his shoulder.

            “The Ehesh were once the second most important clan. One of their males mated into the Arad clan, making them near equal to the Original line.”

            She frowned. “Okay, back this up for me. Please explain the clans and Original line business.”

            He stared at her. “We are all members of one clan or another. They are our bloodlines. Inheritance is passed through the maternal line. My mother is of the Anguis clan, thus making me a member. Should I mate into another clan, my clan name would change as well. The Original line are the direct descendants of the first true dreigun. Their line is held above all others as they are who we turn to for judgements in disputes between clans and between members of clans.”

            “Wait,” she said, her eyes narrowing. “Are you telling me that the Original line is like some weird Judge-King combo?”

            He considered it for a moment then nodded. “It is an apt enough description. The Ehesh recently mated into the Arad clan. The male who did so was SArad’s grandfather. However, since my uncle mated in after, the Ehesh lost some of their status. This was not easy to digest for some of the members. I am aware that they had previously attempted to sabotage my uncle’s position, but he had been blameless in all respects.”

            “Are you telling me this whole business is nothing more than politics?” she asked, eyes wide and lips pulled down.

            “It could be seen as such. I believe the hope is currently that whoever is able to bring SArad back would become his Guardian, despite the traditions. It is why so many are attempting to kill me. By our traditions, and until it is otherwise ruled, I am SArad’s Guardian as I am the eldest male cousin on the paternal side.”

            “Let me get this straight, your cousin is like the dragon equivalent of a prince and we’re looking for him so others don’t hurt or brainwash or do whatever to him. And people are trying to kill you cause you’ll be the Regent if they don’t find and bring him back first. And you think this whole thing’s been engineered by the old King’s, well more like Queen if we’re going position-wise, family so they can be important again?”

            He nodded. “It is close enough in a general way.”

            She glared. “And you never thought to tell me this before?”

            “I had not thought it important. I had also been uncertain of the Ehesh involvement prior to your description of the battle-type from yesterday.”

            She felt her temper flare and for a moment contemplated hurting him. Then she remembered her drills and took several deep breaths. Only when she felt back in control again did she say, “You’re an idiot. From now on, tell me as much as you can or think I might want to know. The more I know, the easier it’ll be for me to help you.”

            “I had not thought of it like that,” he replied, eyebrows folded together. “I believe you are right. I will do my best to explain dreigun society to you as you have explained yours to me.”

            “Good, we’ll start-” The bell cut off the rest of what Leah was going to say and she sighed. “We’ll start tomorrow. C’mon. Let’s get to class.”