14 | grace yearwood

Looking around the line for the roller coaster, I was the only person who wasn't a child. I made a note to self to start drinking more milk. This was just ridiculous.

Sadly, it might be too late for that.

"It looks so scary," Maddie whispered.

I said, "How scary could it be? There's a five feet height limit."

"It's okay if you're afraid. I'm scared too. I have tissues in here if you cry," she said, patting her purse.

"I know I'm small, but you do realize I'm not a kid, don't you?" I said.

"Yeah. You're probably fourteen, right?"

"...fourteen."

She didn't respond because the gates opened and we climbed into one of the seats. Every year, the school rented fair rides for the Halloween Carnival. It was probably the biggest event Thornhill offered. They really spared no expense for their beloved Halloween.

The coaster jerked a little, and I clutched onto the safety bar tightly.

Maddie placed a small, chubby hand on my knee. "Don't be scared, Grace. The ride hasn't started yet."

I wasn't afraid of the roller coaster.

The jerking had reminded me of the accident, and that in turned reminded me of my ability. I tucked my hands beneath me and took a deep breath.

It was a ride for little kids. It should be a piece of cake.

"So what's your grandma up to tonight?" I asked, distracting myself.

She shrugged. "Nothing. I think she was reading when I left."

"Isn't she working tonight?"

"No." She peered over the edge of the ride. "Andrew is a liar. He asked to bring me all on his own. Grandma wasn't really busy."

Deputy Sullivan lied so that no one would know that he was actually a decent human being. For some reason, I wasn't surprised.

"You must know him pretty well," I said.

"Of course! Andrew and I are best friends," she said enthusiastically. Maddie's eyes went round as she caught sight of another kid eating cotton candy. "That looks good!"

"It does. We can get some after the ride," I said.

She gasped. "Do you promise?"

"Promise."

She threw her arms up and yelled enthusiastically as the coaster took off.

I closed my eyes and leaned back into the seat. My hair whipped backwards as we dipped and curved around the tracks. I couldn't remember the last time I'd done something like this, getting on a silly ride with a kid.

I wouldn't admit this to Quentin, but I was enjoying myself. I was glad he convinced me to ride. There were times when I was sure he knew what I needed more than I did.

As the coaster slowed to a stop, Maddie impatiently hopped out. Her braid was a tangled mess. "Cotton candy now?"

"You got it." I gestured to the exit. "After you, Princess."

She flashed a toothy grin before running off.

Deputy Sullivan was leaning against the gate on the other side. "Did you guys have—"

"Out of the way," I said, not letting him finish. "We're on a mission."

He didn't look amused. "What are you talking about now?"