Chapter Seven

I was fuming

I was fuming. I wanted to shred up this contract and end it here and now. I called someone about talking to Holden so I was waiting for him to show up. I knew if I kept this contract, I would be put out of my own money. I had to get out of this contract.

"You rang," Holden said as he stepped into my apartment. No need for knocking I guess.

"You didn't tell me Poppy worked here," I pointed to him. "You lied to me."

"I didn't lie."

"But you didn't tell me the truth either," I said. "You knew she knew me and you scouted me out anyway. Why?"

"Because the poor girl has been badgering me since she came here. Might as well end her suffering."

"I want to end my contract then," I crossed my arms. "I'll do that interview for you, but I want out of it."

"You can't do that," he said. "You have a year."

"Then I want a trial. I can call my lawyers up here and they can look over your contract and negotiate terms for a new one. I want out," I told him. I meant it, too. I didn't trust myself around Poppy. She was far too easy to fall in love with.

Holden let out a sigh and paced around the room. I could see the thoughts reeling in his head. Whatever they were, I'm sure they weren't good for me. He paused in place and his eyes scanned over the stack of papers I had strewn over the couch. He walked over to the sofa and picked up the stack of papers.

"My lawyers and I will draw up new terms," he said. "We can negotiate then. Sound fair?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"Why is it you want a new contract?" he pressed. He didn't seem like the person who cared, so I don't get why he was asking.

"You don't seem like you care."

"I don't, but I am curious as to why you would ask for a new contract after meeting with Poppy for the first time in three years."

"She's easy to love," I told him. "I don't trust myself around a woman like her. I've loved her once before and I'm sure it will happen again. I need out of that contract so I know I can love her freely."

"Do you still love her?"

"I'm not answering that," I told him. "I want my new terms in one hour."

Holden stared at me with his eyes cold and distant. He tucked the papers underneath his arm and began to fiddle with a small ring on his hand. I've noticed he does this every once in a while. I'm in no mood to play these mind games. What I want is out of this contract and to be able to be close to her again.

"Explain to me why I should do this for you," he told me. "I'm not letting you get these new terms easily."

I let out a sigh and stared at him with my best poker face. Growing up in a family of rich bastards did have it's perks at times. Like when you were in business mode.