Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

2 (free sample)

B R E N N A N

Brennan didn't feel like going to work today. Not that she felt like going to work any day. She felt like her last summer before college was speeding by, the days blurring together, too slippery for her to grasp hold of the time and hold on.

She would have spent the entire summer holed up in her room, writing. Instead, she was spending the summer working, trying to save money for college expenses. She glanced at the pennant flag she'd pinned to the wall above her desk, in hopes of rousing some excitement for school. SIUe. Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville. Brennan felt a little sick thinking about making it her new home. It was a nice school; on visits, she'd almost felt like she could belong. Back at home, though, the feelings faded in the wake of anxiety.

Brennan pulled her hair up into its usual knot on top of her head. She could almost hear her mother...I wish you'd actually put some effort into your hair, for work at the very least. Brennan stared at the stubborn fly-aways around her ears that refused to be tamed. It wasn't that she didn't care at all about the way she looked. She did care, somewhat. It was just that she had come to the conclusion, at the start of high school, that people weren't worth her putting extra effort into dressing herself up and hiding who she really was. Her black leggings and t-shirts were easy to grab even on an anxious morning; they didn't take thought. Thoughts were something that tended to cause trouble for Brennan. What if I look silly in this shirt? Is this skirt too short? Will people notice that my sweater has creases where it was folded?

Letting the thoughts lead her around by a leash hadn't helped when she'd been a freshman, after all. After a move by her family when she was in middle school, Brennan had left behind her small private school and the friends she had made. Instead she was home schooled. It was sort of a relief—Brennan always found it hard to make friends, and after having all the effort she'd put into it at her old school wiped away, she was perfectly fine with being at home.

That was where her love of writing had started. She'd had so much time to write what she wanted and how she wanted. Her mind was filled with stories...fantasy worlds, half formed. Without a laptop, she wrote by hand, her handwriting growing more sloppy and slanted the faster she wrote, her hand trying to keep up with her racing mind.

Then she'd been a freshman, and her parents wanted her to go to 'actual school', as her then-best-friend had called it. She was re-enrolled at her previous school.

Brennan had been excited. She'd gotten new clothes, new binders, and new notebooks. She'd daydreamed for days about being able to see all her old friends. Then she'd shown up on the first day of class...and no one had cared. Some of them didn't even remember her name, and she remembered all of theirs.

Her best friend from the homeschool group her mom was a part of had enrolled as well. Brennan took comfort in this; at least she'd have a person. But when she'd introduced her best friend from school (the only one she'd managed to stay in touch with after she'd left in the sixth grade) to her other friend, they'd hit it off, immediately leaving Brennan the awkward plus one. You know, the one who had to walk ahead or behind when the sidewalk wasn't wide enough for three people.

That year had been when the anxiety had started. The first time Brennan had had what she later discovered through some googling must have been an anxiety attack, she had felt like she was having a heart attack. She'd stood in the bathroom stall, back against the cold metal door, her breaths coming quick and shallow, her hand on her chest in an effort to press away the deep ache. Can fourteen year olds have heart attacks? She wondered. And then I can't get a breath. I can't breathe. Eventually, it had settled in long term in a knot in her stomach, where it liked to make her feel like she was about to throw up. It gnawed at her stomach every day, for seemingly no reason. She felt sick, she told her mom. You're fine, her mom would say, after pitying Brennan initially. Brennan didn't blame her; she had to be tough...had to force Brennan out of her comfort zone, lest she become a total recluse. And so Brennan was grateful to her mom, at least somewhat. Even when her mom forced her out of the house and into a job the last summer before her first year at college.