Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen (Rick's POV)

My whole body was aching when I finally walked out of the hospital, now dressed in a pair of my good ol' leather pants, a black AC/DC t-shirt, and my leather jacket. The only thing I was missing now was Devin in my arms and the thought of him not being there sent a pang through me as we walked past the sliding doors and out into the parking lot.

Blake had come with Vic and was now walking behind me and I could feel his eyes on me as I walked. I wanted to whirl around and punch him in his stupid face and ask what the hell he was looking at when the events from earlier rang in my head and I ignored him.

Vic led us to his truck and we climbed in back, seeing as all his equipment was in front. I settled down, ducking away from the setting sun that cast an irritating glow past the tinted windows. Vic started up the truck and we were heading out of the parking lot.

The drive was eeriely silent. Not even the radio was playing, which annoyed the crap out of me. Of all the times not to play the radio, Vic-

"I talked to the doctors before we left, and I'm talking to both of you, so Blake, you pay attention too. I really didn't want to do this, but because of the situation and the doctor's orders, they've asked that your parents come into town. And they agreed to come in for a couple of days." He explained calmly, but his grip on the wheel tightened.

I watched Blake's face drain of color and I could just see all the memories playing back through his head of the time we had spent at our parents house and he was obviously not looking forward to this meeting.

And neither was I.

Blake pissed me off to no end, a lot of the time, but what they had done to him, done to both of us, was unforgivable and I was just as stunned to hear that they were even bothering to come as he was.

"You're lying." I stated, but it was so obvously the truth and it burned my throat to think about it. Blake tilted his head back against the window, squeezing his eyes shut before he leaned forward.

"You can't be serious. Vic, I don't want them here. Why would you agree to this? If it's the files, just ask them to send them down! We don't need them to come here!" He protested. I could hear the twinge of distress in his voice as he tried to come up with excuses. I grimaced and sat up a little, settling my arm over my abdomen gently.

"Blake's right," I agreed, making Blake look at me quickly before returning his panicked look to Vic, "There's no fucking way in hell they're coming down here. I don't want to see them, ever. And neither does Blake. So you're shit outta luck."

"So are you," Vic snapped at me, catching me off guard as Blake and I sat back, "Look, I've been trying so hard to raise you guys. I couldn't have any of my own for obvious reasons. So when your parents decided to give you to me, I was thrilled at the idea. I knew it was going to be hard, so I did everything I could to make sure I could give you everything your parents never could. I gave you a home, I gave you food, an education, money. I used to get chided by your teachers for being too lenient with you guys, but I didn't care. I thought they were just being judgemental because of who I was, but now that I look back on it, maybe they were right. I've let you guys run wild way too long."

"I know you're both old enough to live on your own, but do you honestly think you can? Rick, you should've moved out years ago, but I let you stay behind because of your issue with Alex and because you were so obviously depressed that it killed me to think of you being alone, so I let you stay. Blake, leaving your parents was the hardest thing that you ever had to do and I know you haven't had any luck in high school and that you're having issues with Danny, so I don't bother you and let you stay too. But both of you are taking advantage of it and I'm getting really sick of it. If you're gonna live under my roof, you have to understand that I am the boss. I'm your guardian, still. If you don't like it, then... Move out. Otherwise, deal with the fact that your parents are coming down."