Chapter 18: Castle Troubles

Danny's POV

We were approaching my castle. I kept wondering what was so important that Clockwork and myself were both needed at the castle. The Time Master didn't seem to know either, which I found odd. Isn't he supposed to be 'all knowing'.

Before I knew it the three of us landed in front of the huge white door with my symbol on it. The doors were opened for us by two ghost guardsmen and we were rushed into the throne room. My eyes widened the second the doors opened.

It was completely ruined! Banners on the wall had been either torn or ripped down completely, parts of the ceiling had collapsed leaving piles of black stones all over the floor, the tables and other assorted furniture was smashed, and it looked as if parts of the steps leading up to the throne had been chipped away. Surprisingly, the only thing that was entirely untouched was the throne itself. It didn't even have so much as a speck of dust on it.

"What in the name of the Elders happened here?!" Clockwork demanded as he shifted into his elderly form, facing the messenger ghost. The messenger timidly shrunk away from the powerful spirit, "We do not know. One moment everything was fine, then the castle started to shake and the maids stumbled upon this!"

"Wait, this is the only damaged room?" I asked.

"Yes Prince Phantom, we found it odd as well," the messenger said.

I frowned, why was this the only room destroyed? A better question would be, why did the castle shake? I didn't know ghost islands could have earthquakes.

I floated around the room while Clockwork continued to speak with the other ghost. During this time I felt an odd buzzing in the back of my mind. It refused to go away so I just ignored it. I was about to go join Clockwork again when I heard a small voice.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" the voice said.

I looked around the room, searching for the source of the voice. I saw a pile of rubble shift near the base of the stairs leading to the throne. I rushed to the pile and began throwing away pieces of stone using a little telekinesis as well.

I soon was able to see a little green ghost girl. She peered up at me and her bright green eyes widened in recognition. "Your Highness! What are you doing?" she asked timidly.

I quickly realized I recognized her too. She was the little ghost maid who had noticed me the first time I came to Phantom's Keep.

I gave her a small smile, "I'm helping you of course." I offered my hand and she gently took it. Once she was out of the pile I noticed she had a few small injuries.

Her braided blonde hair was messy and she had a few small cuts on her face. Her maid dress was ripped and more scrapes and cuts lined her arms and legs. She glanced at her appearance as well and looked horrified.

"I apologize for my terrible appearance my Prince, please forgive me," she said as she curtsied.

I laughed lightly causing her to blush. "You don't have to apologize, you just had part of a ceiling fall on you," I quickly explained.

The little ghost girl stood up straight, her head tilted down, "You are not angry with me?" she questioned.

I kneeled down and gently lifted her chin up, "No I'm not angry. I'm actually glad you are alright. But we should still get those cuts cleaned up. Is there a hospital wing or infirmary in the castle?"

She nodded.

"Good, then let's get you down there," I said as I stood offering my hand to her again. After a moment of looking at me then my hand, she took it and we both floated over to Clockwork, who was now in his young adult form, and the messenger who had now been joined by Fright Knight.

"Clockwork," I said, interrupting their conversation, "I'm going to take-" I paused as I looked at the young girl. "What's your name?" I asked her.

She looked surprised, "Talia," she replied.

I nodded, "Right, I'm going to take Talia to the infirmary to get her injuries looked at," I told them.

Clockwork nodded, "Shall I accompany you my Prince?" Fright Knight asked.

I shook my head, "That won't be necessary, but I am glad you are ok. I was worried Vlad might have gotten to you."

Fright Knight nodded, "I appreciate your concern about me your highness. You had no need to worry though. Clockwork had alerted me of Plasmius's discovery just before I went to report to him."

I smiled as I left the throne room. "So, I'm counting on you to lead us to the infirmary since I'm still kinda new around here," I joked causing Talia to giggle.

She lead the way through the castle all the way to the hospital wing where ghosts wearing doctor and nurse clothes were rushing about. No one seemed to take notice of us.

"Um excuse me?" I said catching the attention of some ghosts. A few of them gasped as they recognized me, that was really getting old.

"Your Highness! What are you doing here?" one of them asked.

"This young lady was injured when the throne room collapsed and I wanted to make sure she got proper treatment," I informed them as I glanced at Talia who was blushing.

A female ghost doctor floated over to us, "I will see to it she gets the best of care, my Prince," she said.

I let go of Talia's hand and kneeled down once more so I was eye level with her. "I'll be back to check up on you, and you let me know if they treated you well," I told her.

She nodded, "As you wish Prince Phantom."

I ruffled her hair, "Call me Danny, ok?"

She smiled, "Ok."

I stood up and gave her one final wave before flying off to join Clockwork and the others back in the throne room. The messenger ghost had left and Fright Knight and Clockwork, who had shifted back to his toddler form, were discussing something quietly in the middle of the room.

Clockwork noticed me and quickly ended the conversation. I wondered what they were talking about that they didn't want me to hear.

"What'd I miss?" I asked the two elder ghosts.

"Not much actually. Repairs have already been arranged and should be done in time for you coronation in 8 days," Fright Knight told me.

"Alright sounds good," I replied, "Do we know what caused the castle to shake or why this was the only room destroyed?"

Clockwork frowned, "That is going to be under investigation. Most assume it was the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep shifting amongst the castle, but that could not be possible for the Sarcophagus was removed when Pariah's Keep transformed into Phantom's Keep."

"So no one has any clue? Maybe this is a sign, maybe I shouldn't become Prince. The Ghost Zone does fine on its own without a leader, why would it need me?" I said, and the buzzing in the back of my mind grew stronger.

Fright Knight floated over to me and rested a hand on my shoulder, "The Ghost Zone does need you sire. You may be young and many ghosts may despise you but you have the potential to change all that. Clockwork and I both agree that you will make a fine Prince."

I smiled up at the knight, "Thanks, anything else?"

"In fact yes," Clockwork said looking at his staff, "You're about to be late for school."

"What!" I cried. I dashed out one of the windows in the throne room, going as fast as I could toward the portal home. 'I hope Jazz gave mom and dad a good excuse for why I wasn't at breakfast' I thought making my stomach growl.

Suddenly my ghost sense went off. I did not have time for this. I turned to face whatever ghost had come after me, but it was only Fright Knight.

"I am to be with you at all times now remember? Also I thought you might need this," he said as he threw an apple at me.

I thanked him as I bit into the apple and continued my flight with Fright Knight close behind, the buzzing finally stopping. Maybe having him around all the time wasn't going to be a bad thing.