Chapter 2.

"The least you can do is try and make this somewhat fun." I argued. I tried to keep my voice down, as we were in a library, but it was getting more and more difficult with Luke around.

Luke had been tutoring me for a month now and I was honestly getting tired of it. It was the same thing every time, just reviewing and teaching and trying to learn new concepts and properties and on top of it all Luke still wasn't being very friendly. Plus, we were now meeting with each other twice a week instead of just Saturdays.

"This isn't supposed to be fun, it's math." Luke rolled his eyes. He tugged his black beanie down farther so it covered his hair, hiding most of his face as well.

"You think math is fun, don't you?" I asked. I had always assumed that Luke enjoyed math, him being so good at it and all. It may even be one of the few things Luke actually likes.

"Of course, but that's just because I'm good at it. If I wasn't so smart I wouldn't even be going to school right now." Luke shrugged. So the rumors were true.

"You're such a nerd. You try to hide it with this whole bad boy attitude of yours, but I see right through you." I said, glaring at him. It was true, Luke always tried to hard to get everyone to think that he was so tough, when in reality all he wanted to do was sit at home and do math problems.

"I am not a nerd. I enjoy math, I like spending my free time doing math. I'm allowed to like math and not be a nerd." Luke said sternly, sounding offended at me calling him a nerd.

"Well, you don't have to focus only on math. Do you ever really have fun?" I sighed, dropping my pencil down on the table, a signal to Luke that I was done working for the time being.

I'd begun to notice that at least once during every one of our tutoring sessions we seemed to get off topic and have a seemingly normal conversation for at least a few minutes. It was nice, because in those few minutes I was always able to see Luke as much more than just my tutor, more like a friend.

"I don't want to have fun. I'm perfectly happy staying home and doing math." Luke squinted his eyes at me, like he couldn't really tell if I was being serious by asking that.

"You don't seem happy." I stated. Around other people I would using take it into better consideration what I say, but with Luke I felt that I didn't need to. He obviously didn't do that when speaking to me.

I felt that Luke would be a lot more well liked around our school if he actually acted like a normal teenage boy for once. Maybe if he attempted to make friends or even just try to talk to some of his classmates he wouldn't come off as so miserable. From what I'd learned about him so far, Luke was a pretty decent guy. I'm sure that people would be open to being friends with him if he just put in some effort. That boy was practically a brick wall.

"I have trouble expressing my emotions. My mom says I should go to a therapist and start taking these ridiculous pills, but I think that's bullshit." Luke rolled his eyes, obviously thinking about his mother. He had never spoken about his mom or any other members of his family before, and up until now I had always suspected that Luke lived all alone. I only knew about his older brother through Eric, and he had only mentioned him a few times. "I don't have some strange mental illness, I don't like anything and that's that."

"Your mom?" I asked, curious to know why Luke had that reaction when talking about her.

"Yes, my mom. What about her?" He snapped. He smoothed down the front of the blue button up shirt he was wearing, trying to seem more focused on it than he actually was. It was always odd to me that Luke didn't dress in leather jackets and combat boots like one would suspect he'd wear. At first glance, Luke actually looked very preppy, not the type of boy to walk around hating the world.