Conflict 12: Air

Three minutes. The power was out for exactly three minutes.

That gave you an idea.

"Are you feeling well, poppet?" You glanced up at Oliver as he walked over to the dining table with a tray in his hands.

You licked your teeth and forced a smile "I'm just excited for today's breakfast is all"

He blinked before nodding his head with much enthusiasm. He put down the tray and placed different kinds of dishes in front of you.

"I saw what happened last night. How rude of me not to consider asking you what you wanted, you are our guest" He chuckled quietly. I just played with the fork.

"Anyway, for today I made you a cucumber salad with a special vinaigrette and whole grain blueberry muffins. Eat up" He winked "You're going to need it"

Never glancing away from his form, you cautiously stabbed the fork on the greens on your plate and shoved them in your mouth. Your eyes widened and you put a hand over your mouth as you chewed.

"Is something the matter? Do you not like it?" He asked with genuine concern, or at least that's what it sounded like.

"No, it's—" You swallowed "It's really good"

"Why thank you, I try my best"

You continued to eat in silence, trying not pig out. Not only your pride but your intestines were going to thank you for that. Back then, after days of not eating, you'd break and eat anything and everything you could get your hands on.

The fork made a clinking sound when you dropped it on the plate.

"Poppet, are you all right?"

You just bit down on something weirdly textured. It was slightly burnt and... You sprang up to your feet, knocking the chair to the floor. You jumped at the sink just in time for your breakfast to shoot out your mouth and into the drain.

Your stomach continued to churn. Your face and chest felt hot.

"What is it?" You didn't see him move but Oliver was right behind you "Did you swallow something you weren't supposed to?"

Twisting the faucet, you splashed cool water onto your mouth and then leaned on the porcelain, all four limbs felt weak.

"Poppet, what's the matter?" His voice actually sounded like he was worried.

"Oliver..." You whispered, your throat sore "was there any meat in that salad?"

"Of course not! I... wait" He tapped his chin "I was feeding Kuma when I made your breakfast"

"Kuma?"

Heavy boots dragged themselves inside the kitchen. Oliver smiled at the door where a man and a full-grown bear stood "Speak of the Devil. Hello, James, Kuma"

James. Save for their facial structures, nothing would point out that he was related to Jason. He was a couple of inches taller, though his brother was broader. His skin was snow-pale. Defying gravity was a curly and thin lick of his dark strawberry blonde hair, which was long enough to be tied into a low ponytail. Unlike the first time you saw him, today he wore his red flannel shirt with two buttons left open, revealing a bandaged chest; and dark blue jeans tucked inside his bulky riding boots.

He also wore a frown on his lips and his shoulders moped, like nothing has ever worked out for him. Shame. He was actually kinda cute.

James glanced up at you, "You slapped Jason, right?"